• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City U23's versus Swansea City U23's - Premier League Cup Group Match Kick Off 7.00 p.m. BST 04 19.00 hours

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Watchable game with City starting and ending the game well which coincided with the periods in the game where we pressed well and were brave enough to go man for man and forced errors. In between when we were a yard or two off Swansea could knock the ball about and look threatening.

Dyer and Diabate looked solid, Pond grew into the right back position as the game went on and ended strongly but will be glad to get back into the centre. Daniel looks very solid defensively and probed going forward without looking like he was full throttle. Harry Lee had no chance with their well struck goal and otherwise was tidy. Made a good low save late on.

Midfield were workmanlike but needed a bit more awareness on the ball going forward. Rowe looked comfortable in general and scored a good goal but also had moments where you can see he needs to sharpen up before the first team space opens for him. Particularly taking too many touches and getting caught in possession giving away dangerous counter attack opportunities.

Seymour looked the most likely up front and Cox showed his potential. Looks like he needs to grow into his body to add strength which is unsurprising for a 16 year old. Nelson was good in the air and had obvious pace but you could tell it was his first game for a while.

Lilley and Hanson offered fresh legs which helped with the pressing late on when it looked like we could nick it but didn't take our chances.

For the record, I didn't see Ajose but I did see Big Nige, Jake Caprice, Tim Dieng, Jack Sparkes (with sling) and Arron Davies.

Last edited:

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks for all the reports from the game. I didn't see too many mentions of Jordan Dyer who, for me, is most likely to be the next one of our youngsters to break into the first team. I hope that means he was anonymous in a good way and quietly defending well without too much fuss.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Match report from club site

and Highlights
Love the oo's and ar's from the team - who needs commentary

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks for all the reports from the game. I didn't see too many mentions of Jordan Dyer who, for me, is most likely to be the next one of our youngsters to break into the first team. I hope that means he was anonymous in a good way and quietly defending well without too much fuss.
He and Chieck Diabate were efficient and mostly untroubled in aerial duels. The real threat came from Swansea's #10 Whittaker, who made several good runs at the defence and won a couple of free kicks in dangerous places, helped by a whistle- and card- happy ref. We didn't really have anyone playing in front of the back 4 with the job of cutting this out, but nothing the defence did could have stopped their goal which came out of nothing from a screamer from the corner of the 18 yard box..

Rosencrantz

He and Chieck Diabate were efficient and mostly untroubled in aerial duels. The real threat came from Swansea's #10 Whittaker, who made several good runs at the defence and won a couple of free kicks in dangerous places, helped by a whistle- and card- happy ref. We didn't really have anyone playing in front of the back 4 with the job of cutting this out, but nothing the defence did could have stopped their goal which came out of nothing from a screamer from the corner of the 18 yard box..
It was a good finish, but Jordan and Alfie really should have shown the boy down to the touchline rather than letting him cut inside onto his right foot. In general though, as you say, Jordan and Cheick were solid. It was a game where there was no real standout player, but a good team effort.

Grecian2K

Love the oo's and ar's from the team - who needs commentary
True, but aren't they aware that tradition demands that each one should be followed by "we are Exeter"?
sort it aht #mediateamforp

Red Devon

Very good interview from Chieck Diabate post match such a focused and professional young player, I think he’ll go a very long way in the game with that attitude.