• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City on this day

exeter150

I recognize Cec, Les McD, Arnie, Keith Harvey and Des Anderson, but not the keeper, Greyhound.
Colin Tinsley.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Colin Tinsley.
Thanks for reminding me.

andrew p long

Cold and damp day if I remember correctly. They ran out of chips in the away end well before kick off as they were expecting 50 rather than the 500ish that travelled.
Is that the day someone had their pasty nicked at the kiosk counter as they turned to watch one of the goals go in?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

haka

Thanks for this thread, I'm enjoying all the memories.

Some discussion earlier about the half-time alphabets. I think they were still in use in the mid-70s, because I was one of the kids hanging around them on the Big Bank. We would pester the ball boy who put the numbers up, somebody usually had a radio and said "Wrong, Liverpool have equalised" or whatever. Remember that these HT scores were being posted well into the second half, which seems ridiculous now!

This 1977 clip has been posted before but here's a new link. You can see the alphabets in the corner, though without scores, so they might not have been used by then, I can't be sure.

You can also see a series of brutal assaults by Halifax players, and count half a dozen red cards not given!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
5 November 1994. Terry Cooper's side lost 5-1 at St James Park to Doncaster Rovers. We were 4-0 down at half time. We finished the day in 15th in Division 3.

Oldsmobile-88

Thanks for this thread, I'm enjoying all the memories.

Some discussion earlier about the half-time alphabets. I think they were still in use in the mid-70s, because I was one of the kids hanging around them on the Big Bank. We would pester the ball boy who put the numbers up, somebody usually had a radio and said "Wrong, Liverpool have equalised" or whatever. Remember that these HT scores were being posted well into the second half, which seems ridiculous now!

This 1977 clip has been posted before but here's a new link. You can see the alphabets in the corner, though without scores, so they might not have been used by then, I can't be sure.

You can also see a series of brutal assaults by Halifax players, and count half a dozen red cards not given!

Excellent Haka..I remember being at the game.

Chris Fear commentary.The Centre Spot on top of the big bank,”.As you mentioned the ABC scoreboard & the wonderful,Make Coal Your Goal,advert hoarding on the St James Rd end fencing(no one had heard of acid rain & global warming:D)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
The bit where we break down the left and the commentator says "Here comes the foul..." before the defender dives in with the ball several feet away. Even in those days that ought to have been a straight red.