• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City 'folk' song

Grecian1987

Remember the one that the bloke wrote and played at one of games a couple of months ago? I've heard it being played over the tannoy a couple of time as I'm walking into the ground.

Does anyone have a link/know what the song is called? I'm sure that it was written with the intention of becoming an ECFC anthem (of sorts); it would be good to actually know how the song goes and what the words are!

P.S. can't remember if it was any good, but I want to be able to judge its merits to be sung on the terraces.

Reggie T42

Cannot Be Serious Cottage, Backside of Beyond, Dev
Remember the one that the bloke wrote and played at one of games a couple of months ago? I've heard it being played over the tannoy a couple of time as I'm walking into the ground.

Does anyone have a link/know what the song is called? I'm sure that it was written with the intention of becoming an ECFC anthem (of sorts); it would be good to actually know how the song goes and what the words are!

P.S. can't remember if it was any good, but I want to be able to judge its merits to be sung on the terraces.
Is this it?

FOLK musician Mick Groves has recorded a new version of his ...
16 Oct 2010 ... FOLK musician Mick Groves has recorded a new version of his iconic song Football Crazy to help raise money for an Exeter City supporter's ...

www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news/Mick-s-putting-new-spin-pitc... - Similar pages

Reggie T42

Here's the article, don't know if first link worked

Mick Grove's putting a new spin on 'pitching in'

By tom bevan

FOLK musician Mick Groves has recorded a new version of his iconic song Football Crazy to help raise money for an Exeter City supporter's campaign.

Mick is a former member of the band The Spinners, particularly popular in the 1960s and 70s, and has become a big fan of the Grecians since he moved to the city ten years ago.

One of the songs most commonly associated with the group is the cult classic Football Crazy and fans will be able to get their hands on one of the 1,000 copies at today's game against Carlisle.

Mick teamed up with city businessman Mike Burch, of Market Carpets, to adapt the lyrics for Paul Tisdale's men.

The CDs will be on sale in reception and around the ground and are available for £5 each. It is hoped several thousand pounds will be raised for the Pitch In For City campaign.

The fundraising drive is to raise £150,000 for a new pitch.

It was laid before the start of this season with the shortfall made up from Tisdale's playing budget. Funds will be replaced when donations come in.

Mick said: "The idea came to me at the end of last season and I thought 'who do I know that could rework the words of the old song?' Then I was sitting next to Mick Birch of Market Carpets and we reworked the words between us. He has a recording studio and has financed 1,000 copies.

"The 100 club, which I am a member of, took on the duty of selling it, but unfortunately it was due to come out when Adam Stansfield died. It was such an awful thing to happen so we put it on the backburner but are now planning to re-launch it now.

"Mike has put it all together and we have played the CD to the executive of the 100 Club and it went down really well.

"It will be on sale at the match and at reception and we are hoping we can sell all the copies and raise a lot of money for the campaign."

Mick, who sang before the crowd at Old Trafford for the 50th anniversary of the Munich air disaster, said: "It is the same tune as the original but the words have been altered to make it relevant to Exeter.

"I certainly hope the crowd picks it up and it would be nice if they sang the chorus. If it sells well then I am sure we will produce more copies."

Mick, who has recently left Exeter after living in Topsham Road for ten years, does the singing and guitar work while Mike provides the harmonies for a song they hope will take off on the Big Bank.

Mike said: "We are both big supporters of City and we were looking to do something for the Pitch In appeal.

"We thought Football Crazy was just the song so I have re-written the lyrics to give it a real Exeter flavour, with a humorous touch telling of the manager's success and so on.

"I think it might well catch on with the City fans because it is a well-known tune and the lyrics are just right for City."

grecian till i die

Reggie T42

Definetly not my old Spinners song:$

Grecian1987

Good work, cheers.

Anyone able to post the lyrics? Can't view YouTube at work (and I'd be too lazy to write them down anyway).