• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City FC v Queens Park Rangers FC Match Day Thread

Darren Moxey

Resigned
It was a good performance tonight against a strong QPR outfit. Wheeler and Reid caught my eye and, although by no means finished article, look good prospects. Showing drive and determination that we haven't seen for a couple of seasons, Sercs played well in midfield and was my City MOTM. The back four were solid and Krysiak made a few good saves. Bennett was poor, but that's par for the course. It was also good to see the Doc back in the middle, but Gow had a bit of an off day. Parkin threw himself about when he came on.

Hoilett showed his class and was deservedly clapped off by the City fans when he was substituted; I think he's too good for the Championship and won't be surprised if he gets snapped up before the window shuts. Joey Barton also looked good on the ball. The away end looked nice and full, although QPR fans were quiet throughout. Good atmosphere on the Bank second half and I hope we get treated to more entertaining football for the rest of the season.

Bittners a Legend

I thought Sercombe was poor. Beyond me how he got man of the match. Ran around a bit but didn't actually offer any end product. Two dreadful free kicks and a long range strike straight at the 'keeper.

No way was it a penalty for the O'Flynn clash, although Clint Hill looks as clumsy and woeful against League Two players as he did against Premier League opposition.

Bennett should be playing centre back. He actually did alright tonight once you accept that he cannot pass the ball at all.

Reid looked lively, could become our "impact" player from the bench this season.

We only looked a threat once Parkin was on. He impressed again and if he can maintain the sort of form we've seen in the first 120 minutes then I think Tisdale has finally brought in a decent "target man".

exeterry

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought Sercombe was poor. Beyond me how he got man of the match. Ran around a bit but didn't actually offer any end product. Two dreadful free kicks and a long range strike straight at the 'keeper.
Bennett should be playing centre back. He actually did alright tonight once you accept that he cannot pass the ball at all.
You must be bleddy joking (or watching a different game). Sercs was good tonight and Bennett gave the worst performance I have ever seen by a City player. Even most of the rest of the stand I was in thought Bennett was a liability. If Tis continues to play this useful lump of lard much more, there's a lot that won't bother turning out to see City play. He was terribly out of position, too slow, couldn't jump, played those balls he did have the few hours to get to, to the opposition, and was late with what few tackles he did bother to put in. In short, Bennett was a disgrace to the side in both the competitive games we've played this season so far................

Bittners a Legend

You must be bleddy joking (or watching a different game). Sercs was good tonight and Bennett gave the worst performance I have ever seen by a City player.
Please, please explain to me what Sercombe did to be described as "good". His passing was average at best, he wasted two glorious free-kick opportunities, when he was in the middle he had know interest in defending and left the centre backs exposed. All he did was run around a bit and unnecessarily put the boot into Barton in the corner.

Bennett, obviously, cannot pass to save his life. I've never been impressed by him. However, if you go beyond his utter inability to actually play CM he did ok. He won a lot of headers, put in a few decent challenges and actually broke up play. In that last half hour when we went for it he did alright just sitting and holding.

I'm not suggesting that Sercombe is terrible and Bennett amazing...but their performances were on the same level...neither was particularly impressed. I'm happy for people to disagree but I want somebody to actually explain what they think Sercombe achieved tonight to justify MotM. I thought he was just very average.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't think we should criticize the Sercs shot from 25 yards or so in the first half on the basis it was straight at the keeper. It was an instinct strike that is hard to direct and it tested the keeper. Could easily have squirmed away. Against that, he hit one in the second half leaning back which was high and wide. Cannot understand why this fault persists.

Bittners a Legend

Fair comments, Al. I'm still struggling to reconcile why Sercombe's performance was worthy of Motm while Bennett was hopeless when both ran around a lot and both passed the ball poorly. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong but I don't think Sercombe is good enough to play CM and I'd rather Gosling/Wheeler/Davies out wide to Sercs.

Alistair20000

Pretty well all around me were muttering that Sercs was MOTM. I tended to agree at the time and could not think of a better choice. Not sure I can think of another one since even after reflection. Perhaps his performance was a bit James Dunne: lots of effort and running around but with no final tangible product ?

Leads

Sercombe was busy and lively without ever achieving anything but I can see why he stood out and i'm not sure who I would have given MOTM to, Artur perhaps?

QPR have a stupidly good team for their league, on paper they should be going up.

Bittners a Legend

Might have hit the nail on the head with the Dunne comparison.

I thought Artur did well. Kicking was really good tonight and several very good saves. I was also relatively impressed by Jamie Reid although he faded towards the end. I do concede I'm probably in the minority but I cannot recall a single instance of real class from Sercombe in the 90 minutes.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Artur was good tonight but a lot of his saves were more in the category of competent rather than outstanding to my curmudgeonly eye. Would not be a bad MOTM choice though.

Looks as if Leads and I had the same simultaneous thoughts on Sercs and Leads and you on Artur :)

Last edited: