• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City 2016/17 Where Did It Go So Right?

IBA

Stunning season so far, and of course a remarkable achievement to get to the play-offs, but how and why? Over to you Exeweb...

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I see Jake Taylor won the player's player of the year. Well deserved. Our season took off when he was moved into centre mid.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think the pennys dropped with Tisdale that he needs to stop d/cking around with his bizarre team selections and put his strongest available team on the field from the kickoff. Okay Reid blows that Satnav system off the radar (he probably refuses to wear it!) but he's a key player for the first 55 minutes of any game. The same with Watkins; you dont leave a player of his caliber on the bench! I suspect Tisdale is trying to be like a Premier League manager like Jose M. or Klopp, who rests the little diddums if they feel a bit of a headache coming on! We havent got the srength in quality or depth to do that! So my hope is he's going to knock it off!

LammieLammieLammie

Stunning season so far, and of course a remarkable achievement to get to the play-offs, but how and why? Over to you Exeweb...
Lot's of little things that went our way. Some substitutions, some quality, and a little bit of luck.

Things that spring to my mind are

Bringing Christy in for Bobby - that was a big call, and we started playing out from the back more
Lee Holmes stunner at Cheltenham - i think that was a massive win
Oli's hat trick at Newport
Matt Oakleys pass to Reuben at Mansfield that led to the pen,
But most of all, the signing of Reuben, and the way the fans have taken to him. He gets us up the pitch and gave us a real lift when we needed it.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Does it turn on single incidences? The contribution of the fans player of the year and Exeweb sponsored David Wheeler has been huge. He scored in each of those 7 consecutive wins that lifted from the bottom towards the top.

LammieLammieLammie

Does it turn on single incidences? The contribution of the fans player of the year and Exeweb sponsored David Wheeler has been huge. He scored in each of those 7 consecutive wins that lifted from the bottom towards the top.
:) Of course, how could i forget that!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The late goals that have got us a win or a draw.

Reuben's ability to draw a penalty from an opposition player.

Ethan's performances. Ethan telling players 20 years his senior what they should be doing!

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
So many little things, and some big ones. Football is a team game, you win as a team and lose as a team, as the cliché goes. Consistent selection in the run from Mansfield home to Argyle away is probably the most important factor. But as to individual performances my personal top three (probably in that order)

* the return from injury of Troy Brown

* the energy, pace and goals of Wheeler

* the presence of Reid

Ollie of course had a wonderful purple patch, but over the season I reckon these three were the most significant.

sign of the chimes

You were really well organised when you won at our gaff, during that superb run you were on. Think at the time I said that whilst we weren't on our game but that a lot of that was down to how you were set up.

Didn't you have a ton of injuries early on, when you were struggling? If so, you can probably count yourself unlucky that you aren't finishing higher up. The play-offs are a lottery...

denzel

The resurgence of Craig Woodman.