• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

European Championships - France 2016

DanceMagnet

Appreciate that there are a lot of people over there just to watch the football but getting ****ed, expressing far right views under the respectable guise of "patriotism" (the last refuge of the scoundrel!). Russian fans learn that England are likely to be up for a bit of a scuffle and go for a fight, England fans run away. As far as thuggery goes Russia won but football itself is a massive loser.

Personally can't think of anywhere I'd rather not be than hanging out over there with the Engerland boys, "Happy and Glorious" my arse.
Actually, on speaking to a couple of guys who were in the end that got invaded by the Russians, there were a mixture of fans in there including English, French and Germans. The main England

On a personal level, I am here with friends to have a holiday and watch the footy. I've followed England away over the last 3 or 4 years and not really noticed any real trouble in that time. I tend to go for the experience of going somewhere I wouldn't normally go which is usually marred by 90 minutes of football. For me, and my friends, we try to avoid the areas where there is potential for trouble and we didn't witness any trouble other than what happened at the end of the match. What was noticeable about that was the lack of any action by police and stewards. They allowed flares to be set off and did nothing to remove those concerned. They also did nothing to prevent people getting injured. The organisation around the ground was an absolute shambles. No signage, limited access into the ground, and no information or assistance. Most fans circled the ground trying to find their way in - an absolute recipe for disaster.

Having said that, a lot of the England fans do not help themselves. They get lagered up, loud and Leary. They do get targeted based on the past history of trouble. I know of a few innocents got caught up in the tear gassing incidents. I can't comment on the incidents in the old port of Marseille as I stayed out of the area to avoid any hassle. It's difficult to trust any of the media reports as they are often inaccurate. The comments subsequently made by Andy Burnham and Gary Lineker were unnecessary and a reaction based on a complete lack of knowledge of anything that did actually happen.

Leyster

Not surprised at the violence in Marseille, Russia missed out on the 70/80's hoolifan culture and are making up for lost time.

I am surprised at what went on in the stadium. After the terrorist attacks in Paris, how the **** did they manage to smuggle in flares & something that sounded like a bomb! The chasing of the English fans in the stadium at the end is something I haven't seen in 25 years.

Russia hosting the next World Cup, what could possibly go wrong?
As I was at the game I would like to give you a bit of the truth about the game.

The England fans were at the other end of the stadium.
The Russians were chasing the fans in the neutral area, yes there were probably some English in that end, but It would have been mostly French.

No trouble after the game even though the police had set it up like argyle away where you have to walk through the Russians to get out of the stadium.

Terryhall

Seems that Russia has been hit with a 150k fine and a suspended disqualification - any crowd trouble at future matches, and they will be kicked out of the tournament. Strong response from UEFA.

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Seems that Russia has been hit with a 150k fine and a suspended disqualification - any crowd trouble at future matches, and they will be kicked out of the tournament. Strong response from UEFA.
What odds it's Russia v Ukraine in the last 16?

Terryhall

Just as likely to be England v Ukraine at this rate!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I guess it's too late for Bobby to get a call up?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Iceland have scored (1-1)!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Good result for Iceland. Probably can't sustain it.

Back round on the next set of matches, should now get more obvious as to who are the form teams. Working 3-9 on Thursday so will miss almost the entirety of the England match.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
There aren't many things in football that are as satisfying as seeing Ronaldo throwing his arms into the air whilst puffing out his cheeks and shaking his head as he's the victim of yet another gross injustice.

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
There aren't many things in football that are as satisfying as seeing Ronaldo throwing his arms into the air whilst puffing out his cheeks and shaking his head as he's the victim of yet another gross injustice.
And pointing at his eye.

Did he shake hands with any of the Iceland players?