• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Euro 2021

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Refs, managers and players were told at the start of the tournament that this sort of challenge would be a red card

Mr Jinx

I was pretty much done with England given Southgate's starting lineups thus far, but thought I couldn't miss out on Eng v Sco, so gave it a watch.

What I saw wasn't dreadful despite the widespread criticism. England started brightly and could've been a goal or two up early doors, but they weren't and then Scotland held their own fairly well.

As the game went on there was a sneaky feeling this was going to end 0-0 and so it came to pass despite Scotland actually having a few chances to win it.

I also have a feeling this was part of Southgate's game plan all along. If he really wanted to win the game at all costs, he'd have taken off a more defensive player (Rice or Philips say) and subbed on a striker. But he didn't and I think he wasn't bothered about winning it, but absolutely didn't want to lose it.

And why would you want to win Group D given that if you do, you face a ride down the valley of death (Group F)? A draw against the Jocks was almost the perfect result for England. Seeing the Scottish celebrate like they'd the won the whole tourney was comical. They were OK, but, like England, they hardly pulled up trees. I expect them to go and slip up against Croatia given it's do or die for both teams in that one.

So I'm willing to cut Southgate some slack. Heck, they may even do well to throw the game against the Czechs. That said, I'd want to see Grealish starting games come the knockout phases. Harry Maguire to start too instead of the gaffe prone Mings, and surely Sancho should be coming on in some capacity. Sterling was bloody dreadful and how he stayed on the pitch instead of Foden, heaven only knows.

Mr Jinx

Refs, managers and players were told at the start of the tournament that this sort of challenge would be a red card
Yes, but again there's no consistency.

Why, for expamle, wasn't the Croatian player sent off for his foul (elbow to face) on Schick for their pen? In fact if Amapadu's was a valid red, there should've been perhaps at least another 5 reds that I've seen (and I've only seen half the games).

Grecian2K

So Billy Gilmour to miss Scotland's game against Croatia due to covid.
Billy Gilmour: Scotland midfielder tests positive for Covid-19 - BBC Sport
The one consolation is that none of the England players got close enough to him last Friday to have caught it.

iscalad

Why, for expamle, wasn't the Croatian player sent off for his foul (elbow to face) on Schick for their pen? In fact if Amapadu's was a valid red, there should've been perhaps at least another 5 reds that I've seen (and I've only seen half the games).
That's refs for you

Alistair20000

Yes, matey from Croatia ought to have been given his marching orders.

Mr Jinx

That's refs for you
Yes, and that's why we have VAR, isn't it?

Or am I missing something?

iscalad

Yes, and that's why we have VAR, isn't it?

Or am I missing something?
To be fair the refereeing and VAR decisions have been pretty good so far. Still, always room for mistakes.

Mr Jinx

So Billy Gilmour to miss Scotland's game against Croatia due to covid.
Billy Gilmour: Scotland midfielder tests positive for Covid-19 - BBC Sport
The one consolation is that none of the England players got close enough to him last Friday to have caught it.
As sure is eggs is eggs, unless it's a false positive test result, he'll have spread it to others in the team. I expect their squad to be weakened for their all important game tomorrow.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Billy Gilmour
Just for a minute there I was picturing Laurel and Hardy's confederate Billy Gilbert.................