• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ethan Ampadu

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
The long-term heir to the armband, however, is Ethan Ampadu, who is poised to win his 50th cap at the age of 23 years, six months and eight days, reaching that milestone quicker than Bale and faster than any other Welshman. Ampadu, who has captained Leeds this season, is mature beyond his years, an unassuming character who picks his words carefully. When it was put to him that his leadership skills were evident when “ordering people about” in his early days, Ampadu intervened. “I don’t like the word ‘ordering’,” he said.

Ampadu is at the crux of a Wales side aiming to reach a third successive European Championship finals tournament. As a 15-year-old, Ampadu, while studying for his GCSEs at St Luke’s school in Exeter, trained with Chris Coleman’s squad in the buildup to Euro 2016 – he had the last laugh over his English classmates when Wales made it to the last four – and was a bit-part player at the delayed Euro 2020. Ampadu started all of Wales’s games at the World Cup in Qatar and has played every minute of this qualifying campaign, from Split to Samsun.

Others, such as Harry Wilson and Neco Williams, have emerged from the shadows. Koumas, a fixture on the bench for Liverpool in recent weeks, is part of the next generation who Wales plan to nurture into the senior squad.

For Leeds, Ampadu has shone at centre-back alongside Joe Rodon – the club boast the meanest defence in the Championship – but he is primed to start in midfield alongside Birmingham’s Jordan James, 19, who is poised to win his ninth cap.

Ampadu, by comparison, is a veteran. “It feels like he has been around for ever,” Rodon says. “I know it sounds a bit mad but he’s going to be one for the future.”
From: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/20/wales-euro-2024-playoff-rob-page-aaron-ramsey-ethan-ampadu

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Potentially, the Welsh football captain, 23 yo Amps, and the Welsh rugby captain, 21 yo Daffyd Jenkins of the Chiefs, for years to come. What a major coup for the city that would be.

DB9

Potentially, the Welsh football captain, 23 yo Amps, and the Welsh rugby captain, 21 yo Daffyd Jenkins of the Chiefs, for years to come. What a major coup for the city that would be.
And how old does that make you feel when both were born in the 21st Century! :)

elginCity

And how old does that make you feel when both were born in the 21st Century! :)
Very old, considering they’ve been awarded around 65 caps between them already !

Reactions: DB9

Langer

I thought after those early appearances after his move to Chelsea he was destined to play at the highest level I didn’t expect it to be at Chelsea for obvious reasons I wonder if Arsenal would of been a more favourable route.

manc grecian

Skybet offering evens on 2 ampadu fouls

grecIAN Harris

Skybet offering evens on 2 ampadu fouls
Only two??

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought after those early appearances after his move to Chelsea he was destined to play at the highest level I didn’t expect it to be at Chelsea for obvious reasons I wonder if Arsenal would of been a more favourable route.
I understand that he was determined to go to Chelsea and once they came in did not really consider any other options.

manc grecian

cambmike

They were streaming the Wales C - England C match through YouTube last night,so it could be on there too.
Watching S4C on IPlayer and listening on BBC Sounds Radio 5. I guess the issue will be synchronisation of sound between the 2