• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ethan Ampadu

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Injuries have been the key problem, just never seems to be fit for long, obviously there's a darned incredibly good player there, hence why the best managers in the World are often interested, but going to only go one way if you can't stay fit.

Not sure there have been any really bad decisions, going to one of the most progressive clubs in the world, Leipzig, then going to a club that had finished top 10 in the Prem seemed good ideas at the time, but again the injuries didn't help.
I'd agree with most of that and it's definitely easy to judge the decisions with hindsight; who knows, if Conte had stayed at Chelsea Ethan might have become a first-team regular at Stamford Bridge.

Pobbop

I'd agree with most of that and it's definitely easy to judge the decisions with hindsight; who knows, if Conte had stayed at Chelsea Ethan might have become a first-team regular at Stamford Bridge.
Yeah the fact is he's going into a major Championship as a key player, played many matches in the Prem, Bundesliga, and Champions League where he made Spurs look silly, and he's not even 21 yet, on the other side of the coin Sturtz doesn't rate him, so swings and roundabouts.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yeah the fact is he's going into a major Championship as a key player, played many matches in the Prem, Bundesliga, and Champions League where he made Spurs look silly, and he's not even 21 yet, on the other side of the coin Sturtz doesn't rate him, so swings and roundabouts.
It's similar to the way a lot of people view Wayne Rooney. He won pretty much every domestic trophy possible and finished as all-time top scorer for both his club and country. And yet, because he was so good so young he is still seen as somehow having been an under-achiever.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
he was bossing league 2 games as a 16 year old
I don't recall that.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't recall that.
Me neither. He looked a very promising youngster in the very few L2 games he appeared in for us but needing to bulk up a fair bit. He seemed to have that good quality of seemingly having a bit of extra time with his decision making.

Avening Posse

I don't recall that.
Not sure about other games TPC, but I watched him away at Colchester when he had just burst onto the scene, and he totally bossed that game, he was even giving instructions to our entire team, and they seemed to be listening to him and following the instructions. Really surprised me as there were a lot of experienced pro's in the side !

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I remember him telling a few other players what to do and pointing a lot however I don't remember him bossing any games.

IndoMike

Can't help but compare Amps with David Luis, his hero. Similar gait, similar positions, likes to move into midfield and/or ping long passes, similar pace. I'm not saying he's as good as Luiz or will achieve that much, but there are similarities. He's also prone to the odd blunder.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can't help but compare Amps with David Luis, his hero. Similar gait, similar positions, likes to move into midfield and/or ping long passes, similar pace. I'm not saying he's as good as Luiz or will achieve that much, but there are similarities. He's also prone to the odd blunder.
Also both are better in a back 3 where there is more cover for them making forays upfield or being caught out of position.

However Ampadu is nearly 14 years younger than Luiz, well ahead of him career-wise at a similar age, and has the potential to outmatch him. I just fear he may not make that step up to being a top, top player with nearly 600 career appearances, hoping to be proved wrong though.