• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ethan Ampadu

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
A pity, because Ethan has proved versatile and indispensable in the Premier League for Sheff Utd. Today they made 5 changes and 3 subs - but Ethan retained his place and played all 90 minutes.

Having played previously on the left of a back three, today he started on the right of the back three (strangely with the RCB Basham pushed into centre midfield) The folly of that was sorted when Ampadu and Basham swopped, so Ethan anchored the centre midfield.

...Until Basham got injured and Ethan switched back to RCB, where he was vulnerable to and exposed by Lookman. And then late on switched to the centre of the back three when Jagielka went off.

Assessment. Ethan good enough to play regularly for some Premier League sides, but not for a Chelsea pushing for the top four.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Assessment. Ethan good enough to play regularly for some Premier League sides, but not for a Chelsea pushing for the top four.
My assessment, admittedly largely based on what I've read on twitter, is that his best position is left-centre-back and when he gets the chance to play there regularly Ethan looks like a very promising player.

budegrecian

I tend to agree with the above assessments, however Ethan is still very young & will still improve.
With the short term approach Chelsea tend to take, my hope is that they decide to cash in this summer & sell him. I'm presuming he would fetch around the £20m mark, based on ability & age. Our 20% sell on would then would then keep us solvent for years to come.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I tend to agree with the above assessments, however Ethan is still very young & will still improve.
With the short term approach Chelsea tend to take, my hope is that they decide to cash in this summer & sell him. I'm presuming he would fetch around the £20m mark, based on ability & age. Our 20% sell on would then would then keep us solvent for years to come.
This is my hope too. There’s bound to be a number of clubs who would be interested in him for around the £15-20M mark. Unfortunately COVID may reduce the chances of that happening but the top flight clubs will still have plenty of money knocking around.

As you say, he’s young so he can improve his game, which will be an attractive proposition for a club who wants to invest in a talent and the fact he’s now for premier games under his belt, it may force the hands of any clubs who are keeping tabs on him.

malcolms

It occurs to me that there were probably also other smaller bits of income in that year - Boateng compensation, maybe some extras for games played from the Wheeler and Watkins moves, etc. which together presumably brought the total up to the quoted £450K.

As Sam Cohen (founder of Tesco) would have said, every little helps...
Wasn't that Jack Cohen (stack em high, sell em quick) ?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wasn't that Jack Cohen (stack em high, sell em quick) ?
Yup, mea culpa, that's the guy - though it was "pile it high sell it cheap".

Jack Cohen (businessman) - Wikipedia

The early supermarkets like Tesco and Victor Value just put basic goods like sugar and tinned peas on pallets and left it to the customer to pick them up. Most people thought self-service would never catch on, I remember even in 1979 Sainsburys still had counter service at my local branch.

Now we have self-scanning tills (which being an old git I hate with a passion) and goods from all around the world 365 days a year, jumbo jets flying fruit and flowers from Ecuador, Kenya, Sri Lanka throughout Covid...

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lining up in midfield for Wales tonight away to Belgium. Match live on Sky.

andrew p long

Huge congratulations to Chelsea's academy for producing a Chelsea academy graduate in Ethan Ampadu.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
To be fair it just said a Chelsea academy graduate. Didn't he play in their academy for a season or 2? If so then he's a graduate.

Colesman Ballz

To be fair it just said a Chelsea academy graduate. Didn't he play in their academy for a season or 2? If so then he's a graduate.
He went into their Academy initially but Conte moved him up into their first team squad after just a couple of months. Still turned out for the youth teams to get match time so all in all, it's a bit of a muddle.