• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ethan Ampadu

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
On the one hand he's probably getting very good coaching at Leipzig, but we assume he's not getting much matchplay. I think he'll come back to Chelsea. Lampard will loan him out to a Championship team and then see what happens.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Far too early to write off Ampadu. Hes still only 19 and got plenty of developing UK do yet. I can see him going on loan to a lower level premiership side next season and that could be the making of him. If he turns out like Nathan Ake then we could be in for a decent sell on wedge. Still hopeful!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Far too early to write off Ampadu. Hes still only 19 and got plenty of developing UK do yet. I can see him going on loan to a lower level premiership side next season and that could be the making of him. If he turns out like Nathan Ake then we could be in for a decent sell on wedge. Still hopeful!
Exactly. At a similar age Watkins was still playing for Weston-Super-Mare.

IndoMike

Exactly. At a similar age Watkins was still playing for Weston-Super-Mare.
I think that's the point : at the same age Watkins was playing. Matt T firmly believes that playing men's football is very useful for our young 'uns.
But anyway, Leipzig obviously know what they're doing. In November their coach said that Amps would definitely stay until the end of the season and get chances to play later.

Last edited:

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
At the age of 19 he could have had 100 football league appearances under his belt.

Waste.

DB9

Must admit Chelsea's two year or transfer window ban (Can't remember what it was) might of helped him had he stayed instead of going on loan? They've had to rely on the youngsters this season which has only been of benefit to those players while he's bench warming in Germany

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
At the age of 19 he could have had 100 football league appearances under his belt.

Waste.
He's had some growing pains and a few other niggling injuries so it may turn out the best for his long-tem physical development that he hasn't played that much yet.

IndoMike

Lampard wanted him on loan at Derby. If that move had happened and been successful maybe Lampard would have been more keen to keep him.
But as posters keep reiterating, Ampadu still has time on his side.

STURTZ

Waste.
I agree, all he has learnt is how to sit on a bench whilst he could have got as an sound apprenticeship as Ollie Watkins did.

IndoMike

Ampadu will be earning more in a year than most young men will do in a lifetime. And he's on a 5 - year contract. Plus he's sitting on the bench of the team top of the Bundesliga and also a Chelsea player.
So whilst I agree that Ampadu could have followed the Watkins' path, played regularly, earned City some good money eventually, and even made Ryan Giggs happier, I doubt if Ampadu has many regrets