• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ethan Ampadu

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Chelsea now on a transfer embargo. Won't be able to sign new players for 2 registration periods, but can release layers. This may help Ethan to get more game time. Interestingly the FA were fined as well!

jimbo-gould

Clubs can normally get out of these bans. Hopefully not in this case and then Ethan can (hopefully) get more game time and establish himself in the first team.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Those 11 mins on the pitch effectively earned us £25k. Amazing really.
Don't mean to be a pedant, but unless I've misunderstood the tribunal ruling that isn't quite the case. The tribunal didn't award us 25k per appearance, they awarded us 250k per 10 appearances and if [heaven forbid] Ethan doesn't get to 20 appearances we won't be seeing another penny.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Don't mean to be a pedant, but unless I've misunderstood the tribunal ruling that isn't quite the case. The tribunal didn't award us 25k per appearance, they awarded us 250k per 10 appearances and if [heaven forbid] Ethan doesn't get to 20 appearances we won't be seeing another penny.
Hence why Boyo said "effectively". Those 11 minutes putting us another tenth of the way to another £250k.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
EDIT function misery: Also, nowadays these fees are done pro-rata, hence when James Dunne left Stevenage when one appearance short of us being paid, Stevenage had to pay us 19/20 of the clause fee.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
EDIT function misery: Also, nowadays these fees are done pro-rata, hence when James Dunne left Stevenage when one appearance short of us being paid, Stevenage had to pay us 19/20 of the clause fee.
Yes, my understanding is that the Tribunal ruling contains the proper and necessary safeguards along these lines - in the past so many clubs have stopped playing someone when the next tranche soon becomes payable. Chelsea pay us 250k for each of the first five sets of 10 appearances , so we don’t yet get another 25k. But we know we are getting it so if Ethan never plays for Chelsea again we get this 25k / , now 50k , when he permanently leaves Chelsea.

( my excuse for getting the number of appearances wrong is forgetting the Sheffield Wednesday cup game. Jason - at the time I was spending four days of the Barbados Test sat next to your cricketing colleague Colin Hearsum. Small world!)

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
You may well be right [I don't pretend to know] but if this is the case why didn't the tribunal simply say, it's 25k per appearance up to a maximum of X appearances?

Also, if, as you suggest, these fees are done pro-rata then what did Stevenage gain from denying James Dunne his 20th appearance?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Jason - at the time I was spending four days of the Barbados Test sat next to your cricketing colleague Colin Hearsum. Small world!)
Blimey! Small world indeed. I didn't know he'd gone out there this time, I know he'd been out there for the Test a couple of times previously. By the looks he also made it out to Sri Lanka.

And I bet it took just a few minutes in for him to refer to you as "Old boy"...!

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
You may well be right [I don't pretend to know] but if this is the case why didn't the tribunal simply say, it's 25k per appearance up to a maximum of X appearances?

Also, if, as you suggest, these fees are done pro-rata then what did Stevenage gain from denying James Dunne his 20th appearance?
The Stevenage example was a test case which confirmed the "pro-rata" arrangements for paying fees agreed by tribunal. This wasn't common process prior to us challenging this.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member

I think they didn't realise it was pro-rata until after they thought they'd done the dirty on us!