• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Englands reserves....

Gozzer

Very well known Exeweb poster
Germany reserves 1 England reserves 2

We are going to win the world cup in 2010. All we need is an international agreement for every side to put out their second team.

It would be far more entertaining as well.

Mackster

The most encouraging thing about last night is the Capello can send out a completely different team and play in exactly the same way they did against Croatia. England at last have a system of play and I'm convinced under Capello will be contenders in SA2010.

I've been really impressed with Capello. He makes Steve Mclaren look like a footballing pygmy and is the complete opposite of Ericsson. You do really get the impression he is in the job for footballing reasons (ok a nice wedge I'm sure), and to further his reputation as a legendary manager. He is bigger than the players and the media that have dominated the national team for the last 6 years and now us fans are interested again. Many were against picking another foreigner, but compared to the previous two incumbents what we have now is a proper football man who takes no bullsh*t from anyone. I liked his comment about playing with "personality".

I shan't go too over the top, but it makes the friendly with Spain look very appetising (I wonder if the media will call this a "meanlingless friendly") and will be a better measure of how we've progressed. Also Brazil hammered Portugal 6-2 last night.

angelic upstart

I'm beginning to agree with you Mackster, I haven't seen an England team "play" like they are now for at least 10 years barring the od game here or there.

******** what des HUA mean?

Antony Moxey

head up arse? Just a guess, like.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Good result and important to see we have strength in depth for the future , but it was against a very poor german side so must be taken with a pinch of salt.

SWP was MOTM for me.

Woodsy

Doesn't make a difference if it was a poor German side as the title of the thread says it was almost a England 2nd 11! I know Germany had a few 2nd choice players, but doesn't the win just show that we have more strength in depth then the germans?

elginCity

Ah, it's 'encouraging signs' time again!

Watching England play half-arsed, teutonic opposition in a friendly is no guide, and never has been. The Germans know it.

ECFC TOM

Probably completely the other way around. If the 'stars' had been available you probably would have got more entertainment watching paint dry with it being a freindly.
By saying it would be more interesting I meant just that. It may not have a very good game, however watching an England team with players that are not going to get a game in 2010 doesn't particularly appeal to me. On the other hand watching Stevie Me, Lampard, Rooney and the like embarrass themselves against a below par German team would have most certainly made me tune in.

On a more positive note, Agbonlahor has good potential, and we can now thankfully rule out Carson being in between the sticks for England again.