• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Energy Prices

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
I can't believe that I'm saying this Tavy but I'm in 100% agreement here. 😱 Olive branch on offer here!

Trouble is with the solution that you make at the end is that it will take far to long for the present crisis.

Just as with railways the 60s/70s/80s "slash and burn" destruction of the mining infrastructure renders any quick restoration. A lot of my working life was spent around the former mining areas and the speed with which all traces of the industry was obliterated was astonishing.

OK some of the closures were economic but a lot more were political.

Regards fracking that is classic NIMBY territory. A few years back Cuadrilla were doing some mild exploration in Sussex (near our head office) driving past the "protest site" was quite amusing. Not the usual suspects - the "crusties" with their rusty bikes - but very nice families with the picnics out and their expensively printed protest banners on display by their neatly parked gas guzzling 4x4s...so stereotypically "middle England on manoeuvres".

Incidentally (and rather astonishingly) very little attention has been paid to the news - even at the height of an "energy crisis" EDF (the French state energy company) have quietly shut down production at their Hinkley Point B facility - even though their proposed replacement there is years behind schedule. And billions over budget.

Nuclear is obviously not without it's attendant risks but it is probably as close to "zero carbon" as you can get. Also, possibly, consider tidal power. An "infant" entrant, certainly, but surely worth further consideration. After all, is there anything more reliable than the diurnal rise and fall of the tides?

Sadly though, as I said, all of this is long term. We are paying the prices for half a century of governments (of both hues) in thrall to the economic orthodoxy that demanded "The State" should be made to appear as small as possible.

Those chickens do, now, suddenly be coming home to roost. All it takes is a madman in the Kremlin (or elsewhere) to pull the plug and shoite inevitably ensures. Putin may not be winning the "war on the ground" but he is making frightening inroads in the economic one.

Colesman Ballz

OK some of the closures were economic but a lot more were
Incidentally (and rather astonishingly) very little attention has been paid to the news - even at the height of an "energy crisis" EDF (the French state energy company) have quietly shut down production at their Hinkley Point B facility - even though their proposed replacement there is years behind schedule. And billions over budget.

Nuclear is obviously not without it's attendant risks but it is probably as close to "zero carbon" as you can get. Also, possibly, consider tidal power. An "infant" entrant, certainly, but surely worth further consideration. After all, is there anything more reliable than the diurnal rise and fall of the tides?
Remembering back to Geography lessons in school, the tidal range in the Bristol Channel is second highest in the world only to the Bay of Fundy in Canada. The irony of the billions being spent and which will be spent on, ad infiitum on electricity produced by the adjacent Hinckley Point C is astounding. OK it may be a high initial construction cost to build a Severn Barrage, but the payback is a unit cost of electricity for peanuts year on year. Instead we a squandering cash on HS2 to save a few minutes on journey times oop north, (well that is the levelling up in the official line, in reality it is aimed for securing a few more Tory votes in the "Red Well"). Still we can rest safe in the knowledge that we will remain "in hoc" to the French and Chinese for the best part of the century !

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can't believe that I'm saying this Tavy but I'm in 100% agreement here. 😱 Olive branch on offer here!

Trouble is with the solution that you make at the end is that it will take far to long for the present crisis.

Just as with railways the 60s/70s/80s "slash and burn" destruction of the mining infrastructure renders any quick restoration. A lot of my working life was spent around the former mining areas and the speed with which all traces of the industry was obliterated was astonishing.

OK some of the closures were economic but a lot more were political.

Regards fracking that is classic NIMBY territory. A few years back Cuadrilla were doing some mild exploration in Sussex (near our head office) driving past the "protest site" was quite amusing. Not the usual suspects - the "crusties" with their rusty bikes - but very nice families with the picnics out and their expensively printed protest banners on display by their neatly parked gas guzzling 4x4s...so stereotypically "middle England on manoeuvres".

Sadly though, as I said, all of this is long term. We are paying the prices for half a century of governments (of both hues) in thrall to the economic orthodoxy that demanded "The State" should be made to appear as small as possible.

Those chickens do, now, suddenly be coming home to roost. All it takes is a madman in the Kremlin (or elsewhere) to pull the plug and shoite inevitably ensures. Putin may not be winning the "war on the ground" but he is making frightening inroads in the economic one.
NIMBYism is a factor in virtually every energy solution unfortunately:

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
NIMBYism is a factor in virtually every energy solution unfortunately:

Speaking of which:

Banksy

So what’s she going to do about it then , talk’s easy.

Oldsmobile-88

Unsurprisingly a good % of Solar in the mix today at 1pm.
37GW Generation reqd which is the highest it’s been for a few weeks, no doubt needed due to A/C on full tilt in shops & offices.

22742755-B555-4452-89FF-8BCEC9ADD854.jpeg

Banksy

Soon you’ll have to take out a second mortgage on your house to cover your energy bills. If you rent tough s###

Average Joe

The house I rent has a A rating energy and I pay around 45 a month, it's always toasty. I'm just buying a property for my first time however it has a D energy rating. I'm concerned my heating bill will rise considerably, any tips?

Banksy

Other than putting on an extra jumper you mean?

Oldsmobile-88

I was talking to my local chippy owner yesterday. He was really worried about the mega price hikes in energy. There is no energy price cap for commercial premises. The bill has nearly trebled in a year with worse to come. There is no option of a pre payment metering option if a commercial premises get into difficulties paying a bill.
Tough times for business.

Policy’s by all governments in the energy market from the past 40 years are coming home to roost. Mad when you think that the UK has had the good fortune to have a vast supply of gas, oil & at one time lead the world in Nuclear Power.