• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

EFL Football suspended until 30 April

Dannyred

So today's news, that we're likely to be in lockdown until the beginning of June (anyone who has been following this for a while - prior to it arriving in the UK will have seen this coming)

I see even less chance of the season being concluded. Post lockdown we'd still be looking at stringent social distancing measures, I highly doubt the PFA and players will be happy to play even behind closed doors. With talks happening this week, I'm expecting the eventual cancellation of this season all together. Whilst **** for a lot of clubs it has to be done.

This would allow clearer planning going forward as to when next season starts afresh. Given the likelihood that we might not get the all clear to play until Sept/Oct as well as allowing the possible second wave lockdown in the winter this time. I might be wrong and they could try smashing the league in a month but yeah... no football for a while.

I am hearing that it’s not straight forward to void this season as there are too many legal issues that could prevent it being voided.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I am hearing that it’s not straight forward to void this season as there are too many legal issues that could prevent it being voided.
And there would be even more legal issues if they say where everyone stands now is season finish, We are in unprecedented times, No legal stuff has ever had to deal with this and you wouldn't want to be any judge to decide

Legohead

Banned
Does my head in all this legal bullsh*t. It's an unprecedented global pandemic and people are only concerned about money. If football cannot be played for some considerable time then it cannot be played. The common sense thing to do is void the season and start the new one when it is safe to do so. Not finish the old one when it is safe to do so. Money, money all the time. There are folk dying and folk going insane locked up in their houses for God knows how long and all some people are bothered about is money. Football makes me sick sometimes.

By this logic what about all those kids who have had their GCSE's cancelled? Do they have a legal right to still sit them? If our kids educations can be scrapped which are far more important than some team getting promoted, then the football season can be cancelled. Perspective totally lost on football. Absolute w*nkers.

Last edited:

Banksy

Agree with you there Lego , a case of getting our priorities right , there are far more important things to think about now. But we all know well enough how the Premiership and it’s obscene payouts drives football in this country and they won’t want to give up their handouts without a fight.Everything revolves round them in their eyes.

grecIAN Harris

Does my head in all this legal bullsh*t. It's an unprecedented global pandemic and people are only concerned about money. If football cannot be played for some considerable time then it cannot be played. The common sense thing to do is void the season and start the new one when it is safe to do so. Not finish the old one when it is safe to do so. Money, money all the time. There are folk dying and folk going insane locked up in their houses for God knows how long and all some people are bothered about is money. Football makes me sick sometimes.

By this logic what about all those kids who have had their GCSE's cancelled? Do they have a legal right to still sit them? If our kids educations can be scrapped which are far more important than some team getting promoted, then the football season can be cancelled. Perspective totally lost on football. Absolute w*nkers.
The only thing cancelled is their final exams. They will still get their grades and final results base on their mocks, course work and their final grades as predicted by their teachers.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
The only thing cancelled is their final exams. They will still get their grades and final results base on their mocks, course work and their final grades as predicted by their teachers.
The trouble with that is that there is a lot of research evidence that on average private and grammar schools tend to over-estimate grades, less successful schools underestimate grades. Unless universities and employers are cognizant of this it will reinforce the bias in favour of the privileged for top universities and jobs.

DB9

They'll be a lot of parents questioning any decisions on their kids exams if there is a lot of "Abnormalities"

Alistair20000

And there would be even more legal issues if they say where everyone stands now is season finish, We are in unprecedented times, No legal stuff has ever had to deal with this and you wouldn't want to be any judge to decide
I suggest a simple one line bill to prohibit any legal proceedings arising out of or connected with Coronavirus

DB9

I suggest a simple one line bill to prohibit any legal proceedings arising out of or connected with Coronavirus
That would be great, But someone would try and get a smart arsed lawyer to and challenge it

Alistair20000

That would be great, But someone would try and get a smart arsed lawyer to and challenge it
Yep absolutely right so add a second clause to the bill that disbars for life any lawyer assisting with a Coronavirus related legal action.

Reactions: DB9