• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ECFC v yeovil matchday thread!

grecian2005

There was 1 bloke who kept shouting f****** rubbish tisdale etc n getting people to join in at 1-0 up n then was like i told you it would happen n didnt seem to be happy until that point :mad:

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Decent first half hour.

Should have destroyed them in reality: they were sh*te and will go down.

Norwood, prospect yes, but at the moment out his depth. Stewart was sh*te and offered him no support. Hopefully Fleetwood will sign as him and Corr up front would be much more like it.

Waited, waited and waited for Logie and Big Mac, far too late for them to come on.

We have a decent squad and will be alright (mid-table), however we must not drop points like we did last night.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ah, I just can't stay mad at Tis for long!

Bring on Carlisle.

slavic exile

My thoughts as usual, for anyone who is interested! First match of the season last night, not including pre-season, and was massively impressed by the atmosphere from the Big Bank, and indeed large sections of the Flybe.

Paul Jones 6 (out of 10): Jonah started off solidly enough, but his mental weakness showed after he shanked that kick out for a corner. Fair enough, it was a horrible ball to deal with, but then their fans got on his back and as I recall, his next three kicks were all awful as well, the last of which directly resulted in their goal (fantastic finish, to be fair). Clearly, as a goalkeeper, you are going to make mistakes but you must not let it affect the rest of your performance!

Steve Tully 8: Really sound performance from Steve, probably the best that I've ever seen him play. Never looked like getting beaten all night. Crossing still needs some work, but overall, he was very good.

Matt Taylor 9: Excellent as usual. Again, didn't look like getting beaten all night. I think we are lucky if Championship clubs or above aren't sniffing around yet!

Troy Archibald-Henville 9: Outstanding. Always dominates in the air, and put in probably a goal-saving tackle right at the end when their player was about to go through on goal.

Richard Duffy 9: Deserved man of the match. I'm glad I reserved judgment on him until the start of the new season as he really was superb. Great to see a player comfortable on either foot. He just has more composure than anyone else in the team, doesn't panic when he has the ball, which is what you would expect from an international player.

Alex Russell 7: I thought he was excellent for an hour, broke things up well and played some nice passes, but after that was completely knackered (understandable at his age), and surely had to be subbed. Felt sorry for him because he did nothing in the last half an hour, which spoilt all the good things he had done previously.

Ryan Harley 4: Thought Ryan was poor by his standards. Was OK in the first half, but went missing second half, made some very poor decisions, including taking a shot on from 30 yards right at the end when there was a wall of about 10 Yeovil and Exeter players in front of him, and he had men over on the left and right.

Bertie Cozic 8: Another great game from Bertie, and I'm glad to see him playing so well. Did what you expect from him, always getting back to make strong tackles. I think we will need him to stay fit this season.

Liam Sercombe 3: Unfortunately, Liam just had one of those nights last night. Seemed OK in the first half, but all fell apart in the second half, and the harder he tried the worse it got. The crowd was very audibly frustrated with him, so again I felt sorry for him. He'll bounce back I'm sure, but for me he is not a right-sided player as his touch is pretty poor and he cannot cross.

Marcus Stewart 4: Another pretty weak performance. Showed some good intelligence in the first half, but was clearly knackered in the second half, and made a terrible decision at the end when he broke up the left, McAllister and Logie had bust a gut to get in the box, and he went for a cutback to no one in particular.

James Norwood 6: I think he played exceptionally, but unfortunately not in the areas that you expect from a striker! A bundle of energy, he always chased back deep into our own half to put a tackle in and hustle their players, which he did so on numerous occasions. However, as Ant Moxey alluded to, he actually offered very little as a striker and was outmuscled on a regular basis. Showed a few tricks and flicks but often achieved nothing by doing so. One time he was through on goal with a golden opportunity, unbeknownst to him was flagged offside, but missed with the shot. Shouldn't have been left on for 80 minutes as he, too, was knackered by the end. I don't think he should be in the team now, however, when he works on his strength, ability to hold the ball up and finishing, I think he will be a very good player.

Substitutes
Craig McAllister 6: I think it's been said enough on here that he and Logie came on too late! Looked keen when he came on, but really not enough time to make a significant impact.

Richard Logan 6: Ditto McAllister.

Scott Golbourne 4: Admittedly was only on for five minutes, but I'm still struggling to see what he has to offer except weak throw-ins to no one and poor passes.

In conclusion, I was incredibly frustrated with this match as Yeovil were there for the taking. They had no shots apart from the goal, although to be fair we didn't create much either, especially second half. Need to sign someone who can score, we could get away with it in League Two and the Blue Square Premier, but chances are going to be much harder to come by now. But as we are finding our feet in this league, I suppose it's not too bad. Can't afford to go too long without registering a win though!

Last edited:

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
My ratings...

Jones 5 - shocking kick which gave away the goal and minutes earlier he shanked one out for a corner under no pressure...the only thing standing in his way of being a top keeper.

Tully 6 - Loads of effort but him and Sercs didnt get behind there fullback and deliver often enough

Taylor - 8 Giant in the air and solid on the deck

Troy - 7 Plenty of pace and played some excellent balls into midfield.

Duffy - 7 Man of the match maybe not , but certainly very composed on the ball and looks a decent player

Sercs - 6 Lightweight on the ball and hussled out too often 2nd half

Cozic - 6 no doubting his effort but IMO just doesnt give us enough quality in that attacking role

Russell - 7 neat and tidy on the ball and did his job infront of the back four pretty well

Harley - 7 First half especially showed some real quality , just getting it out of him on a consisitent basis is the problem

Stewart - 7 the brain is still there the legs at times last night couldnt quite catch up

Norwood - 7 bags of talent but very very raw , feel a bit sorry for him to be honest to much to quickley for the lad.

A Slacker

Frustrating is the word that a lot of people have used and which I agree with.

First half was good, we were totally in control and dominated. However we rarely looked threatening.

Second half we squandered the initiative and just fell apart. I agree with everyone who has said that changes should have been made earlier.

However we were not outclassed and in all the games so far we have shown that we can compete with League One sides. We need Corr and Stanno back to offer something more up front as poor old Norwood is willing but not quite there yet.

The main positive was that the back four were outstanding. Troy played much more solidly than Saturday, Taylor was Taylor and the two full backs were our best players. Tully particularly impressed me with some of his throw ins which got us moving forward well - great decision making. Duffy was simply outstanding apart from that backpass.

As we all know Jonah is an excellent shotstopper BUT his kicking is still dodgy and his presence on set pieces is also something that needs to be worked on. It is evident that through his improvement over the past couple of years that he will continue to work on these areas.

The midfield ran the show in the first half but went AWOL in the second. I think that they are all culpable, however I do think that Russell is a quality player and is the right person to fulfil his particular role. Stewart was outstanding in the first half, causing all sorts of problems but like all the midfield was just chasing shadows in the second.

There is lots to work on and we all know that Tis will do this. I imagine the new match analysis bloke will be very busy with this particular game.

Lets remember that we have competed superbly with sides like Leeds, QPR (for 60 mins) and Norwich. With strikers coming back and a bit of a rest after Saturday I am already looking forward to the 29th August.

grecIAN Harris

Still might be a bit early for young Norwood but there is one vast difference between him and Stanno already. He makes the passes as opposed to Stanno reacting to balls into areas. ie, James Norwood makes a run and the ball is passed into the area that he is running into or ball gets played into a space and then Stanno decides to chase after it.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Think the main problem Tis will have to overcome is the way the midfield is organised & how they link up with the strikers.

The club has brought in quite a few players this summer ,particularly midfield,but I couldnt see anyone on the bench that would dramatically change it around in taht area last night.Consequently ,we had to do the predictable & make the same changes as at Norwich.With the difference that the Yeovil manager must have been expecting it & was able to counter it.

Last edited:

Red Devon

Very disappointed with last nights result the game should have been over by half time!! - Russell MOM.

I still don't think we look potent enough up front.

grecIAN Harris

Think the main problem Tis will have to overcome is the way the midfield is organised & how they link up with the strikers.

The club has brought in quite a few players this summer ,particularly midfield,but I couldnt see anyone on the bench that would dramatically change it around in taht area last night.Consequently ,we had to do the predictable & make the same changes as at Norwich.With the difference that the Yeovil manager must have been expecting it & was able to counter it.
Needs some width in the midfield. The system he has played for both home games is ideal away from home where the onus is on the home side to come out and play but at home we need to be creating something.
And whilst we're on about the diamond midfield, for Gods sake put Harley at the attacking point of it. It gives him the opportunity to get into the gap between the midfield and forwards where he is at his most dangerous.