• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Devon Derby predictions

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
A huge game not just because it is a local derby against our nearest and dearest and both Clubs are challenging near the top of the league but also the result could have a significant effect on our chances of chasing down Carlisle as they are home to Blackpool and a defeat at Gnome Park is likely to leave us seven points adrift of them. Perish the thought, wins for Luton, Wycombe and Portsmouth would leave us out of the playoff places. Bottom line we need to keep our run going because it is one thing reaching the heights but the hardest task will be staying there.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Don't see how even a setback at La Parc des Gnomes would manage to leave us out of a play-off spot come 5pm next Friday. (Unless we've had an unannounced points deduction or Mansfield have a secret game in hand)

Details and workings would be much appreciated to allay the nervousness you've suddenly re-introduced.

Last edited:

Colesman Ballz

A huge game not just because it is a local derby against our nearest and dearest and both Clubs are challenging near the top of the league but also the result could have a significant effect on our chances of chasing down Carlisle as they are home to Blackpool and a defeat at Gnome Park is likely to leave us seven points adrift of them. Perish the thought, wins for Luton, Wycombe and Portsmouth would leave us out of the playoff places. Bottom line we need to keep our run going because it is one thing reaching the heights but the hardest task will be staying there.
I am convinced that we are odds on to win at Home Park Sexton, but any result should not have too significant an effect on chasing down Carlisle because although as you say they are at home to Blackpool on Saturday, just look at the run of fixtures that they then face :-

Doncaster (H)
Wycombe (A)
Pompey (H)
Cheltenham (A)
Argyle (A)

And of course they eventually have face the Mighty Grecians, at SJP (with its newly found FORTRESS standing).

Nil desperandum !

Oldsmobile-88

Although this time with the scores reversed eh, Olds?? ;)
Indeed mate..!!...A great moment from that night was John Delve running over to the front of the Mayflower Stand & flicking the 'V's' to them after he had scored..:D....

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
McCormick sent off for 2nd yellow gesturing to City fans when they take the lead. City Come back with a Hatrick from Reid and Wheeler gets another to keep his run going.
I make that 4-1 ;)

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I tend to disagree. Of course, this is a game players and fans alike will be desperate for us to win and it would be fantastic were we to do so.

Be that as it may, on the back of recent results, I see it as a bit of a 'free hit' – while 35 points from 39 would be wonderful, 32 or 33 would be [much] more than acceptable. Moreover, while Carlisle our now firmly in our sights, Argyle are still some way off and, realistically, the wins we've already bagged against play-off rivals such as Mansfield, Colchester, Portsmouth and Wycombe are likely to prove of more benefit to our cause than a victory at Home Park.

So, to be clear, I'd absolutely love it if we won on Saturday but even if, heaven forbid, we lose, we're still in a great position and oughtn't to dwell on it. Our season will be far from over.

Last edited:

astraltrader

I tend to disagree. Of course, this is a game players and fans alike will be desperate for us to win and it would be fantastic were we to do so.

Be that as it may, on the back of recent results, I see it as a bit of a 'free hit' – while 35 points from 39 would be wonderful, 32 or 33 would be [much] more than acceptable. Moreover, while Carlisle our now firmly in our sights, Argyle are still some way off and, realistically, the wins we've already bagged against play-off rivals such as Mansfield, Colchester, Portsmouth and Wycombe are likely to prove of more benefit to our cause than a victory at Home Park.

So, to be clear, I'd absolutely love it if we won on Saturday but even if, heaven forbid, we lose, we're still in a great position and oughtn't to dwell on it. Our season will be far from over.
I really hope we do manage to beat Plymouth. Even a point would be acceptable to keep our unbeaten run alive.
While a defeat would not mean our season would be over I do worry how our confidence would be affected when we eventually do get beaten.
Anyway here is hoping we will beat them convincingly.

astraltrader [Terry Dickens]

Red Devon

Should we beat Argyle they would then only be 6 points in front of us...their game against Carlise in a few weeks could then open the door for one of those teams to caught...a win against Argyle could be worth more than just the 3 points on the day.

My prediction

Argyle e 2:3 City

Last edited:

eurogrecian

Even a point would be acceptable to keep our unbeaten run alive.
I bet Gargoyle would bite your hand off for a point!
We just need to guard against over-confidence.

I reckon a score draw is a likely outcome.

TOP_CITY_FAN

If we're unbeaten in 13 at 1700 on Saturday evening, then I'll be a happy man.