• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Derby Match Day thread

Joshyd123

Very well known Exeweb poster
Its Golborne, not Goldborne ;)
It's Golbourne, not Golborne, nor Goldborne. ;)

greenawayr

My take for those interested.

Firstly, poor turnout, but I suppose the holidays can be unpredictable.

Anyway the game.

Not the greatest match. City weren't at anything like the same intensity they were for spells against Spurs, bit poor but whether that was the formation or personel, i'm not sure.

The central back three were solid enough, Seaborne, Taylor and Tully all doing well but the odd sloppy pass was evident. Golbourne was quite good going forward, but defensively he was pretty awful. I'd be surprised if he stays in a defensive role as he was pretty poor in that position against Spurs. Duffy was pretty good but the formation imo, was wrong for a team like Derby. Very good wide players and they constantly got in behind Duffy and Golbourne and as a result stretched our back three, which would be why all their goals came from balls into those corners which got cut back into the space left by the centre backs and scored.

Edwards was awesome in the middle of the park, constantly breaking up play and usually doing the simple thing with it, sometimes overplayed it though. Harley was pretty good as well. Russell was fairly lousy as was Saunders, although Saunders seemed to be playing in the gap between Logan and the midfield, and Logan wasn't getting enough of the ball and Saunders wasn't getting anywhere near him to support him when he did. Bascially too isolated.

When the midfield got forward we looked decent as we had the numbers supporting, but it didn't happen enough.

Our goal was superb.

Dunne was pretty good in the second half and probably the pick of the subs.

pct333

Who has been teaching Ryan Harley to tackle like this ? :

http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk298/pct333/?action=view&current=ExetervDerbyPSFon25709010.flv

Here's hoping for plenty more of the same, this coming season.

Big Nose

My take for those interested.

Edwards was awesome in the middle of the park, .

Thought Rob got caught in possession too often in fairly dangerous positions allowing their players to run at our centre halves. Agree Russell was awful and I get very frustrated with the front man being isolated.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Who has been teaching Ryan Harley to tackle like this ? :

http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk298/pct333/?action=view&current=ExetervDerbyPSFon25709010.flv

Here's hoping for plenty more of the same, this coming season.
Looks good to me, glad to hear that the Big Bank enjoyed it as well.

pct333

A noticeable change up in the speed of passing leads to a goal for Richard Logan, which made the half-time score 1-1 :

http://s283.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid283.photobucket.com/albums/kk298/pct333/ExetervDerbyPSFon25709052.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1

OfficialECFC

Ant's Match Report is now up on the Official Site

Last edited:

slavic exile

Like greenawayr, here are my views on yesterday's game for anyone who is interested! It was the first pre-season match that I have been able to get to, so I was excited at seeing how the new team was shaping up. I have to agree with a lot of the comments on here, which give the impression that most of the new players failed to shine.

Paul Jones 9 (out of 10): Apart from one kick shanked into the stands at the end, where he was under heavy pressure anyway, he didn't put a foot wrong all day. Saved one-on-one from the winger in the first half and made a top-drawer save from a 25-yarder in the second half. Looked comfortable on crosses that came his way and is talked well to the defence. It really is remarkable how much he has come on in the last couple of years, and full credit to the staff at Exeter City and of course Jonesy himself for that.

Steve Tully 9: I've not been the guy's biggest fan in the past, but he played very well yesterday. Very solid defensively and picked out some nice passes from the back instead of just hoofing it forward like he used to. Looked to bomb up the wing occasionally but the team as a whole played with very little width. I am looking forward to seeing how he copes in League One.

Matt Taylor 8: Another strong performance from the big man. Perhaps should have scored with a shot from inside the box that hit the post.

Dan Seaborne 7: Again a player whom I have not been the biggest fan of in the past, but played quite well yesterday. Like Tully, he now looks to pick out a pass rather than just hoofing it forward. Hit a couple of sloppy ones that let Derby run at the defence but generally did OK.

Richard Duffy 4: Very disappointing performance from an international player. Struggling to remember any time where he made good use of the ball, often choosing to hit an aimless long ball. But I am sure he has much more than what I saw yesterday about him, so I will reserve judgment on him for now.

Scott Golbourne 4: Again, it was disappointing to see a performance like this from a player who has played at this level before and indeed the Premier League (albeit just the one appearance). Tried to get forward and sometimes looked pretty decent up there, but hardly ever got back and left poor Seaborne on the left side of central defence horribly exposed. At fault for the third goal. On this evidence, he's certainly no Deano!

Rob Edwards 3: This is probably the only player about whom I disagree with the opinion of greenawayr. I've got to say he was pretty damn awful, beaten to almost every 50:50 and probably would have got booked in a league game for persistent fouling, after he fouled three guys who got away from him in pretty quick succession. Only put in one or two tackles that I can remember and gave the ball away several times. Sadly, as much as I love the guy and admire what he has done for Exeter City, I seriously think he will get badly found out in League One if he carries on playing. Having said that, I thought he was past it in the friendlies I saw last summer and he proved me wrong, and I hope he can do it again.

Ryan Harley 8: Probably the standout attacking player, who again impressed with his range of passing, and even tackled on numerous occasions! I think we will need him to be on top form consistently this season.

Neil Saunders 2: Shocking performance, touch let him down on almost every occasion that he received the ball. Again I was gutted to watch it as I know he has ability. As Oliver said, I think he would be better on the wing, but as pct333 said, he does seem reluctant to get chalk on his boots!

Alex Russell 1: Really did offer nothing. Gets 1 mark for making it out on to the field.

Richard Logan 7: Showed some good touches when he had the ball and took his goal very well but had very little to work with. For me, the pick of the strikers, and I can see him having a big role this season.

Subs:

Michael Noone 8: Never heard of the guy before, but he looks a very good prospect. Strong defender and looked good going forward. I hope to see him in action this season, certainly looked better than Golbourne!

Adam Stansfield 5: Never really got into the game, ran around a lot as usual but was rarely on the ball. Missed a glorious chance one-on-one at the end.

Bertie Cozic 9: Really pleased to see him play this well, it was a performance that fully justified offering him a new contract. Tackled well as usual, worked hard for every ball and played some nice passes in a more advanced role than we are accustomed to seeing him play.

Manny Panther 9: Another one who was excellent, his passing and control of the ball in particular. Like Logan, could have a big role to play this season.

Barry Corr 6: Pretty mediocre performance. Showed the odd nice touch on the ground but pretty weak in the air for a big guy, a bit like Peter Crouch. Didn't have much to work with, to be fair.

James Dunne 8: I was impressed with him, passed the ball well, as you'd expect from a former Arsenal player, but also tackled well, which you do not expect from a former Arsenal player! The best of the new signings.

Troy Archibald-Henville 9: Excellent work from Troy, unbeatable in the air, and we will need him at the heart of the defence this year.

Liam Sercombe 8: Had a very good game, full of energy and showed sublime skill when he ran onto the ball at pace on the wing, knocked it over the defender's head and half-volleyed from 30 yards, forcing the keeper to save, which got the crowd going. Passed well and was very proactive in his running.

Overall, we held our own for a lot of the match but mistakes were punished. Played some nice stuff as usual but without any cutting edge. It's a shame that Fleetwood is not coming as I can't really see any of our strikers (bar Logie if he gets the service) getting over ten goals.

Last edited:

ECFC '72

Laughing at the people showing their true colours
Is this the guy The Scum bought in last year ?

TOP_CITY_FAN

Is this the guy The Scum bought in last year ?
No. That was Jamie Noone from Southport.