• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Derby County vs Exeter City matchday thread

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
He managed us for 12 years. In 4 of those we got to play off finals, and won one. In another year we went straight through L2, in another we achieved our highest ever league finish in the current structure. That record is comfortably better than any other manager this club has ever had. In each of those seasons, if you'd asked the average fan "would you take that as a result for the season", they'd have ripped your hand off. I'm no Tisdale apologist but for crying out loud, we're a football club and would love a manager to be here 12 years again and deliver that level of success.........
You don't have to try and lecture me over Paul Tisdale, I am fully conversant with all the relevant facts, both the good and the bad. It may interest you to know that I was a member of the panel who conducted the interviews and selected him in the first place. I even took a modicum of personal abuse over that at the time, although in fairness those responsible did take subsequently apologise.
It wasn't his fault that the Club rewarded his successes with increases in salary. and the infamous "two year roller", which resulted in the ridiculous situation of not being able to afford to sack him irrespective of what he did or didn't do. Make no mistake, he certainly appreciated the position that put him in, and was happy to exploit it.
I certainly enjoyed the great success which he brought to our club as much as anyone, but that doesn't mean that I am blind to his shortcomings and arrogance in particular.

Grecian Max

It may interest you to know that I was a member of the panel who conducted the interviews and selected him in the first plac
Interesting! I didn't have you down as an ex-member of the establishment, Trust board I'm assuming?

sidney

24,040 (637 Exeter City supporters)
I thought our fans were superb, singing enthusiastically, and even showing some good humour. The pitch was perfect, the ground nearly full, so a good atmosphere, and the away support loud and sustained. Yet the team seemed lacklustre from the off, lost many 50/50 challenges, and played with unrelenting negativity. The only bright spark was Mitchell, and he was the only possible source of a goal. It was clear after ten minutes that we were most unlikely to score and carried no threat whatsoever. Worryingly, Derby looked nothing special, and I will be very surprised if they gain automatic promotion.

Generally, we just about coped at the back, but midfield and attack were non-existent. This left us playing sideways possession football at the back, which inevitably led to nothing. I also attended last season, which was a vey different performance of heart, vigour and more than a bit of skill. We are clearly not the club we were.

The need for a centre forward is blindingly obvious, but its deeper than that. We also need a second striker to play as a Number 10, and we need a strong hard-running midfielder along the lines of Archie. Carroll's first instinct is always to turn sideways or backwards, and to pass accordingly. But most of all, we surely need a more positive approach, and that is the responsibility of the manager. Harry and Sweenz must play in every game until the transfer window. At that point we will need a major injection of fresh blood, or we are certain to go down, in my view.

Here's something from left field: is there a case for playing Mitchell, up front? And bringing some energy to the equation? I think The Admiral might look a better player with someone with pace and vigour alongside him. Just a thought.

Ashford Grecian

Carroll's first instinct is always to turn sideways or backwards, and to pass accordingly.
He is over hyped IMHO

SuperSantos

I agree with much of this Sidney. I went as well and it was bleak.
Worrying that Muskwe appeared to lack motivation and effort and no better and possibly a worse option than Cox in his effect (positively) upon the team.
Trevett showed some moments of fight and effort which is positive and Cole has in the past. Not sure Carrol is the man we need at the moment, not known for his battling game, and who's he to pass to when players are hiding.
Re Mitchell, shone as he normally does, but can't do it all, plus I thought he was showing signs of fatigue with the situation - and I wouldn't blame him.

STURTZ

Thought Harper came in for some unfair criticism here. The blokes a left sided defender forced to play as an emergency RWB against Mendez Laing with minimal support. I mean give the guy a break!

Number13

You don't have to try and lecture me over Paul Tisdale, I am fully conversant with all the relevant facts, both the good and the bad. It may interest you to know that I was a member of the panel who conducted the interviews and selected him in the first place. I even took a modicum of personal abuse over that at the time, although in fairness those responsible did take subsequently apologise.
It wasn't his fault that the Club rewarded his successes with increases in salary. and the infamous "two year roller", which resulted in the ridiculous situation of not being able to afford to sack him irrespective of what he did or didn't do. Make no mistake, he certainly appreciated the position that put him in, and was happy to exploit it.
I certainly enjoyed the great success which he brought to our club as much as anyone, but that doesn't mean that I am blind to his shortcomings and arrogance in particular.
I really wasnt trying to lecture anyone, I am just sick of everyone on here going overboard with the criticism of him when he brought us success over a sustained period which we'd all love to see now. Yes he was a bit arrogant at the end and did some daft things but I'm sure in my 12 years of doing the same thing with the same people, I'd do daft things on a few occasions in all that time

How good if Caldwell managed us for 12 years and achieved what Tisdale did (by which I mean success relative to the positions we were in at the time - Caldwell probably has to keep us in L1 for all those 12 years to be a success)

Memphis09

Thought Harper came in for some unfair criticism here. The blokes a left sided defender forced to play as an emergency RWB against Mendez Laing with minimal support. I mean give the guy a break!
Thought he was are best player against wigan
At least he tries and runs back to help

claude duvall

I thought our fans were superb, singing enthusiastically, and even showing some good humour. The pitch was perfect, the ground nearly full, so a good atmosphere, and the away support loud and sustained. Yet the team seemed lacklustre from the off, lost many 50/50 challenges, and played with unrelenting negativity. The only bright spark was Mitchell, and he was the only possible source of a goal. It was clear after ten minutes that we were most unlikely to score and carried no threat whatsoever. Worryingly, Derby looked nothing special, and I will be very surprised if they gain automatic promotion.

Generally, we just about coped at the back, but midfield and attack were non-existent. This left us playing sideways possession football at the back, which inevitably led to nothing. I also attended last season, which was a vey different performance of heart, vigour and more than a bit of skill. We are clearly not the club we were.

The need for a centre forward is blindingly obvious, but its deeper than that. We also need a second striker to play as a Number 10, and we need a strong hard-running midfielder along the lines of Archie. Carroll's first instinct is always to turn sideways or backwards, and to pass accordingly. But most of all, we surely need a more positive approach, and that is the responsibility of the manager. Harry and Sweenz must play in every game until the transfer window. At that point we will need a major injection of fresh blood, or we are certain to go down, in my view.

Here's something from left field: is there a case for playing Mitchell, up front? And bringing some energy to the equation? I think The Admiral might look a better player with someone with pace and vigour alongside him. Just a thought.
Yes, exactly. Its the contrast between two events exactly a year apart. What worries me most is not lower league position, dreadful sequences of losses, worse team than 12 months ago, but the spirit. Last year we battled for every ball, played like brave underdogs and got a point. This ‘big team’ mentality thing is codswallop. We aren’t and never will be but we can be the ones who try hardest and have the academy togetherness and local spine to team. Caldwell has deliberately destroyed that. Time for a change.

malcolms

I really wasnt trying to lecture anyone, I am just sick of everyone on here going overboard with the criticism of him when he brought us success over a sustained period which we'd all love to see now. Yes he was a bit arrogant at the end and did some daft things but I'm sure in my 12 years of doing the same thing with the same people, I'd do daft things on a few occasions in all that time

How good if Caldwell managed us for 12 years and achieved what Tisdale did (by which I mean success relative to the positions we were in at the time - Caldwell probably has to keep us in L1 for all those 12 years to be a success)
PT's ability as a manager has been adequately illustrated since he left the club and you could just as easily argue that the current manager's ability had been demonstrated before he arrived..