• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

David Wheeler

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster

ecfc70

another labour party love-in for this week........i dont care for it anymore David so please keep your political views to yourself on a weekly basis and actually give some insight to the club or what you love about Exeter

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
another labour party love-in for this week........i dont care for it anymore David so please keep your political views to yourself on a weekly basis and actually give some insight to the club or what you love about Exeter
Well don't read it then.

Quite something for a paper that is so in love with Katie Hopkins and her vile views (celebrating the loss of migrant lives in the Med for example).

Wheeler is a lovely chap, and it's good to meet a footballer who can articulate on a number of subjects.

Well don't read it then.

Quite something for a paper that is so in love with Katie Hopkins and her vile views (celebrating the loss of migrant lives in the Med for example).

Wheeler is a lovely chap, and it's good to meet a footballer who can articulate on a number of subjects.
No it isn't. There is enough politics in the world and on this forum. His column should be football related and that is that. If he wants a political column then there are many avenues for this.

ecfc70

Well don't read it then.

but i like to read it because i like his views on football and he is honest about his recovery, I just dont need to hear about Corbyn or Labour every week
as for the paper.....it is utter dross but some of the comments can be amusing.....once you get past the bombardment of adverts if you forget to put the old adblock on

Last edited:

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well don't read it then.

Agree about Wheeler's intelligence but he is being paid (I presume he does get paid) to write a column to give ECFC supporters an insight and information on the day to day goings on within the Club. That is and should be the sole purpose of the column.

He has no mandate to use it as a vehicle to express his views on any other subject particularly of a political nature (and I would make the same comment whether he was of a similar persuasion to myself or not) and to use his column to foist his political opinions on its readers is totally inappropriate and he should be told to stop doing so forthwith. If he then feels that his civil liberties are being denied him and ceases to write the column then so be it.

Or of course he could approach the E and E and ask the editor to give him a second column in which he could express his political views and in my opinion there is little or no chance that he would succeed with such a request.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I would guess he's been given an opportunity to write an a weekly article for the E&E. I don't see why he has to be censored on what he writes, there's nothing outrageous in there, slightly cautious about writing about his employer, and avoiding a criticism as you'd expect of the management team. Unlike his predecessor he won't be accusing City fans of being faggots.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Mountains and molehills.

If you want to knock a player at least find a decent reason for doing it.

Last edited:

sumner7

Administrator
Staff member
Indeed. As much as I'm frustrated with goings-on at the club at the moment, the ire should not be directed at Wheeler or his column. He's mentioned politics enough times in his columns in the past, why are people only moaning about it now?

It's a personal column, his predecessors Sercs and Coles talked about their families/passions in sections of their columns - why whinge about Wheeler doing the same? It's clearly his big passion outside of football, and we're getting an insight through the column into his personal views, so why shouldn't he be allowed to talk about them?

For example, Jeremy Clarkson has a newspaper column in one of the tabloids I believe, and I bet your bottom dollar he doesn't just talk about cars.

It's an opinion piece that he's written, he's never stated in the column that it should be taken as gospel by anyone and everyone. Seriously, it really isn't worth moaning about - we've got bigger things to worry about than a personal newspaper column.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would guess he's been given an opportunity to write an a weekly article for the E&E. I don't see why he has to be censored on what he writes, there's nothing outrageous in there, slightly cautious about writing about his employer, and avoiding a criticism as you'd expect of the management team. Unlike his predecessor he won't be accusing City fans of being faggots.
Not any guestion censorship but he is either employed to write a football column or not. Do we see ex-players with columns in the tabloids going off piste and start pontificating on Brexit or whatever and I stand by all I have said earlier.