• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2024

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agreed 100% - proper cricket
And an appropriate grand finale, with just one run required for the win, Umeed smashing the ball for a six ! :)

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm beginning to wonder why they ever signed that Dickson.:censored:
Dickson does seem to fail quite a bit, and he played a poor shot in the first innings. And yet..........he was top of the Somerset averages in the T20 last season.

Maybe Umeed to open v Durham ?

Last edited:

Alistair20000

With 58 overs available (and no sign at all of rain!)
Beautifully poised. Wish I'd hopped on the train and gone to Taunton now. (Although that would have undoubtedly jinxed it).
If he's there just hope Al left has his laboratory gas heating device back in the Tebburn lab.
No danger of me intermeddling as I was on the ferry coming back from Roscoff.

The Kent ninth wicket partnership had just been broken as we went out of internet range which was a huge relief as it was becoming threatening. Went for the 20 minutes free Brittany Ferries WiFi at a time when I thought the Cidermen might be close to winning. They were only 18 short as it turned out.

An excellent day not even spoiled by having to arrive via Britain’s Ocean City.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cidermen announce signing of Aussie bowler Riley Meredith.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pictures indicate that he has a moustache and a hairstyle, so he will provide competition for Ben Green.

Colesman Ballz

Pictures indicate that he has a moustache and a hairstyle, so he will provide competition for Ben Green.
Not a Merv Hughes clone I hope ? :cool:

Rosencrantz

Favourite Merv story from Simon Hughes' entertaining "A Hard Lot of Yakka" book was a seconds game between Essex and Middlesex. A very posh public school "character" was going in to bat for Middlesex with a young but still fully moustachioed Merv bowling and claimed loudly "I say, I'm going to tonk this hairy blighter around the park". He then proceeded to top edge Merv's obligatory bouncer barrage for sixes and fours over the slips to increasing splutterings and "arsewipe" comments from Merv.

Grecian2K

Not "Merv" related but Rosie's tale reminded me of a slightly similar one, back in the days, when the great Joel Garner was guest of honour at a Rolle College charity sports day in Exmouth.
One of the prize attractions was the opportunity to "bowl out a W Indies star". (At 50p an over I seem to recall) If you managed to do that there was a small prize. However, in the very small print at the bottom of the blackboard was the condition that, to win, you also had to survive an over of JG bowling at you. And, bear in mind, it was not even a "proper wicket" - just a bumpy strip marked out on a normal sports field.
Harmless fun and very entertaining - many tried, and a few were "allowed" to win.
But then this cocky "young buck" swaggered up. Unlike most of the entrants he rolled up in full cricket whites.
"Hooray Henry" duly completed the first task and iirc snagged Mr Garner forth or fifth ball. Then he was informed that he had to survive an over in return.
The Somerset man started by lobbing in a couple of "gentle pies" which were duly swatted away by laddo with disdain. This was accompanied by some increasingly offensive sledging by "Henry", some of it extremely racist (it was the 70's after all!). By now the assembled audience could see the bowler getting seriously riled, so for the next ball he decided to treat the batsman to his full run-up. By the time he had roared in and reached the crease the (now petrified) batsman had edged so far away from the wicket he was half way to Exeter. Seeing this, Garner abruptly halted and tossed a gentle underarm to take out middle stump.
The crowd roared!!!

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not a Merv Hughes clone I hope ? :cool:
Not quite! :)

Colesman Ballz

Not quite! :)

Ah ! Looks like that he may be a bit of a wannabe though ! :)