• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2013

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
We were cruising, though, until Rogers got an absolute shocker. We folded after that.

I'm not so sure Hoggard was that shabbily treated - it was simply a case that he had become something of a one-trick pony (give him 5 overs with the new ball then he stands around until the 2nd new ball) and Anderson had become better at performing the Hoggard role. He probably should have retired a couple of years ago instead of joining Leicestershire, but on his day he was a fine bowler.

East Devon Clown

Putting the fun and the mental back into fundament
He probably should have retired a couple of years ago instead of joining Leicestershire,
You are going to have to explain the difference. :D

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I thought it went without saying...!

Bittners a Legend

No Onions, Compton or Taylor. The selections of Carberry and Tremlett in particular suggest that form over a long period of time in four day cricket is a complete irrelevance when it comes to selection for England.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Tremlett over Onions is a strange one - England have gone with 4 tall hit the deck bowlers and only one "seamer".

Must have been close between Ballance and Taylor.

Bittners a Legend

Tremlett over Onions is a strange one - England have gone with 4 tall hit the deck bowlers and only one "seamer".

Must have been close between Ballance and Taylor.
Agree completely. When I saw Tremlett's selection I originally thought it must have been Finn who had missed out.

Although I'm not convinced Taylor is international class he can feel a little miffed in so much as he scored runs against the Australians and, although his form hasn't been incredible, he has consistently scored runs. Ballance looks a great prospect but should only have been selected for the ODI's in my opinion. His two ball duck vs Ireland did not exactly make a great case.

I accept that form in county cricket does not necessarily translate to international ability but there are a number of very questionable selections, or non-selections. I posted this earlier in the summer and am even more convinced now...when England arranged for Compton and Taylor to appear as "guests" against the Australians during the summer...they did it hoping they would fail. Both made runs, both were ignored during the summer and both have been ignored now.

No Onions is just ridiculous. I assume that should anything happen to Anderson he would be called up but his form clearly merits a place as a back up seamer regardless.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I saw Taylor batting for Leicestershire againt Middx a few seasons back - even then you could tell he was class. Being 2'7" possibly counts against him as he looked a little timid against the Saffers' pace attack last year, meaning the harder pitches of Australia might be a tough proposition.

He tends to take a while to adjust to steps up too - took a couple of years to start scoring runs consistently in Div 1. Perhaps next summer when India are in town would be more suited to getting him into the side and settled.

Bittners a Legend

Both this and the performance squad would suggest that Taylor is not close to getting an opportunity next summer sadly for him.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It could be that England have "seen enough" of Taylor not to include him in the performance squad. Good to see Sam Robson in there though.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster

I'm not so sure Hoggard was that shabbily treated
As I understand his side of the story, he was dropped without any of the England selectors phoning him to say why and what he needed to do to get back. If true I don't think that is best management.