• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Crawley Town vs Exeter City Match Day Thread

sidney

Having watched the sending off of the Crawley player several times, I suspect the ref was exactly right. Firstly, he was right up with play and perfectly positioned, far better than the camera. From his viewpoint it would seem that he could see very clearly whether Dawson made contact or not. If he didn't, then it is no penalty, and the Crawley player dived. The correct response is a booking. Secondly, he probably realised that a sending off would result: he produced the red pretty quickly. Forgive my cynicism, but in such circumstances and with it being a home player, you have to be very clear in your own mind that it was a dive.

I take Pete's point about Dawson's reaction, suggesting he expected a penalty, but I interpret his response as a reflection of his earlier failure to head back to goal quick enough in very similar circumstances, which led to their goal. When he realised that threat did not exist, he remonstrated with the player. I agree with earlier comments that Dawson should have been booked for this.

Dawson's slight hesitation contributed to their goal, but I put that all down to 'one of those things'. I don't see it as indicating any significant weakness in his game.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
The camera angle was useless for viewers to make a definite decision. I do think the answer though lies in Dawsons reaction right after the incident, when he started to walk towards his goal; in my view in anticipation of facing a penalty kick. It was only when he realised the decision had gone the other way that he ran around like a headless chicken, repeatedly finger wagging at their player (some might say encouraging the ref to show a red card). It was unsavoury. I suspect their manager will be spitting feathers over it during the post match interview!
Haha, you’re such a bulb.

Reactions: WXF

arthur

Youtube highlights, for people outside the UK that Sky doesnt work for!

All Dawsons fault....

Why didn't Sweeney challenge the man crossing the ball, who had all the time in the world to make his pass?

The goal scorer had almost a free header, despite the fact that both Taylor and Hartridge were standing next to him

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
I couldn't care less if we were lucky, their player dived or not or whatever. We won, that's all that matters.

older-codger

Haha, you’re such a bulb.
Pete has a big problem with the sending off. Does he criticise the ref... or the goalkeeper? Heart break!!

STURTZ

I couldn't care less if we were lucky, their player dived or not or whatever. We won, that's all that matters.
Fair enough, just hope Matt Taylor doesn't hold the same view.

denzel

I think Dawson was unlucky that it ricocheted off of the Crawley player. Yes it should have gone Row Z, but it was a fluke that kept it alive.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pete has a big problem with the sending off. Does he criticise the ref... or the goalkeeper? Heart break!!
We won. That ruined his day.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think Dawson was unlucky that it ricocheted off of the Crawley player. Yes it should have gone Row Z, but it was a fluke that kept it alive.
And the ball was very close to going out for a goal kick; indeed one of the City subs (Amond?) can be seen appealing.

STURTZ

I think you are right, Dawson not at fault at all and did everything he could to make up ground, unlike his fellow defenders. Also think the sending off was correct, don't give a flying fart where Dawson walked after the incident, he never touched their player.