• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Craig Woodman

bazcabs

Does anyone know why Woodman has only appeared on the bench lately? I like JMT but left-back is not his natural position and Rovers' winning goal came from that area on Saturday. IMO Woodman has been a consistent performer after a shaky start to last season.

milts

Out of contract in the summer and not going to be offered another deal?

exeips

Out of contract in the summer and not going to be offered another deal?
He was in talks over a new contract before Christmas, maybe the club can't afford to give him what he wants?

Not worn fryer tuck costume for a while as it does
Does anyone know why Woodman has only appeared on the bench lately? I like JMT but left-back is not his natural position and Rovers' winning goal came from that area on Saturday. IMO Woodman has been a consistent performer after a shaky start to last season.
Probably because he is shocking which is the only thing he has been consistant at. Poor positional sense, doesnt close down crosses and gives the ball away virtually every time he gets it, agreed we have had some really good ones but he is one of the worst left backs we have had. Shame Exeweb lost data as WMC and I had this very discussion last year didnt we? Really hope his contract does expire in the summer.

Last edited:
Backing Tisdale now, more than ever. He is doing a
I am a Woodman fan. I think he is a very good left back. Good on the ball and picks a decent pass. He can't go forward though, due to a lack of pace. You can't win them all though. It is a toss up between Woodman and JMT, at this moment in time. JMT, on the whole, looks confident and strong. He is learning. I think I am right in saying that JMT is left footed? Anyway, Woodman has done very little wrong and can probably consider himself unlucky, to have been dropped. Woodman has probably been our most consistent player, over the past two League 2 seasons.

Not worn fryer tuck costume for a while as it does
I am a Woodman fan. I think he is a very good left back. Good on the ball and picks a decent pass. He can't go forward though, due to a lack of pace. You can't win them all though. It is a toss up between Woodman and JMT, at this moment in time. JMT, on the whole, looks confident and strong. He is learning. I think I am right in saying that JMT is left footed? Anyway, Woodman has done very little wrong and can probably consider himself unlucky, to have been dropped. Woodman has probably been our most consistent player, over the past two League 2 seasons.
As i said this is Déjà vu, been here before.

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I think if you are going to choose between Moore-Taylor and woodman it has to be Moore-Taylor because he is younger, cheaper and has potential to improve. Woodman can be his understudy and then wouldn't be upset to see him released in the summer. Am sure there are other options out there.

If it is true that we have improved greatly after the chesterfield game is that a coincidence that woodman and Davies were dropped after this game. Tisdale said I think after the Southend game that certain players no longer merited an automatic starting spot, the change came a bit later after a few more poor performances sandwiched around the accrington win so assume woodman was a casualty of this view point. It could also be that Moore-Taylor impressed in training and the under 21s.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think if you are going to choose between Moore-Taylor and woodman it has to be Moore-Taylor because he is younger, cheaper and has potential to improve. Woodman can be his understudy and then wouldn't be upset to see him released in the summer. Am sure there are other options out there.

If it is true that we have improved greatly after the chesterfield game is that a coincidence that woodman and Davies were dropped after this game. Tisdale said I think after the Southend game that certain players no longer merited an automatic starting spot, the change came a bit later after a few more poor performances sandwiched around the accrington win so assume woodman was a casualty of this view point. It could also be that Moore-Taylor impressed in training and the under 21s.
More or less as I see it. Happy with Woodman most of the time after his dreadful first dozen games though JMT is quicker and taller.

Jacob Wannell has also done well in the U-21s and like JMT can play LB or LCB, I'd be confident he'd do OK if he got the chance through injury / suspension. Only 19, maybe needs to strengthen up a little but if JMT and Nichols can toughen up (which they clearly have done) so presumably can he.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Woodman is for me a consistent 6-7/10 performer, don't think he necessarily did anything to be dropped more that JMT had made his case to step up.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
You are right indeed.