• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Colin Daniel is a new signing

Arthur Davey

As I said on another thread, left back / wing back is currently our biggest problem. Caprice on the left is a square peg. He's doing an OK job defensively but slows the whole team down. He should be backup to Key on the right.

We need one of the left footed defenders to play there. I hope Daniel can get up to speed to play first team football soon and solve this. If not, Grounds or Rowe in a more defensive role.
Yep, re Caprice, I think most of us would agree with exactly that, and one would hope that includes MT...presumably why he signed Daniel, and that, as you say, is trying to get him match-fit asap.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Daniel played 70 minutes on Friday, there's another U23 game in a couple of days (?) so if he plays another 70 in that he should be OK for next Saturday (unless MT thinks Caprice doesn't deserve to be dropped)

Bridgy 81

Daniel played 70 minutes on Friday, there's another U23 game in a couple of days (?) so if he plays another 70 in that he should be OK for next Saturday (unless MT thinks Caprice doesn't deserve to be dropped)
England are playing a right footer (Trippier) at left back this afternoon.

fred binneys head

And he’s playing like caprice does, always cutting back onto his right foot and not taking advantage of space if he were left footed. Very annoying.

iscalad

Tuesday 7pm at SJP

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
The difference being Trippier is quite good, albeit is still better at right back.

The left back position is the one position where we haven't really strengthened despite the need. I've only seen Caprice play one good game and that was against Rovers 2 weeks ago.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
........ whilst killing all of ours stone dead. :rolleyes:
Agreed. Can't understand why Key isn't switched to the left. He's a much better finisher and can engineer his own shooting opportunities.

robchave

Interestingly, on Saturday, the one time he did push into space ahead of him he beat his man and put in a pretty decent left-footed cross. Needs to be encouraged in training.

grecIAN Harris

Agreed. Can't understand why Key isn't switched to the left. He's a much better finisher and can engineer his own shooting opportunities.
Square peg in a round hole.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't think Rowe would be a defensive option. I've yet to see him play but looking around at what others have said and other bits and pieces about him, I think the general aim of his natural game would be to provide the same sort of threat as Key does down the right.
The club and he himself describe him as a defender. "Operating primarily as a left back," ✍ Callum Rowe joins Exeter City - News - Exeter City FC

Young and raw, no doubt, but so at first were Key, Sparkes, Grimes, Collins... you get the drift.

I hope he plays tomorrow v Swansea so we can get a view as to his potential.