• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Club Cricket 2011

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Not long to go now, eh?

Our league has seen a bit of an upheaval, with many clubs having dropped out even up to last week when one side in our division pulled out citing lack of players. A worrying precedent. Also, our league may be in the process of shooting itself in the foot somewhat - they have started to go all grandiose re: facilities etc., which is fine for us as we have decent facilities but a number of the clubs in our league are formed of teams with decent players but without the facilities to back them up - if they had a decent ground they'd be playing at Surrey Championship level (one side can often call upon Bangladesh Test players, f'example).

I believe there have been clubs that have withdrawn as they fall foul of the new ground grading rules - including last season's champs (and a really decent bunch at that).

Anyway, we start on May 7th, meaning I wouldn't have been going to Sheffield Weds even if my finances were to allow it (which they won't), but we have a "club day" on the day Wills marries the gorgeous Kate, where we'll have two T20 matches lined up - one against my old school, the other an intra-club match. Should be fun.

zyderman

ooooohhhhhhhhhh sh*tarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr aaaarrrrrrrrr
First game this arvo for new club. supposed to be pretty gentle oppo to start apparently. cant wait.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Started with my club this weekend just gone...

2 defeats against Braunton and Filleigh in the NDL.

Im not playing , taking a summer off.

Ian Sideman

Started with my club this weekend just gone...

2 defeats against Braunton and Filleigh in the NDL.

Im not playing , taking a summer off.
To do what??

CREDYGRECIAN

To do what??
Nothing.

Family commitments , work , football and no break since sept 09 have knackered me right out...

Ciders , beach , relaxing afternoons in the sun....

Ian Sideman

Come on Credy. You're sounding like an old man.

Take the missus to Benidrom for a week and be available first weekend in May when the league starts.

Simples.

CREDYGRECIAN

:D

Thats because i am an old man fella.

Poundstretcher

First game of the season today. Copped a decision so bad that I couldn't even work out how I'd been given out... turned out to be caught behind, down the legside, off both pads.

Great.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
First game of the season today. Copped a decision so bad that I couldn't even work out how I'd been given out... turned out to be caught behind, down the legside, off both pads.

Great.
For me the joys of being a "walker" *should* mean these decisions don't go against me. I say *should*...!

Anyway, we had our club day on Friday with two T20 matches - first was club vs school, the second an intra-club match. I ended up guesting for the school side in the first match, where "we" beat the club thanks mainly to a young lad whose brother is currently a Middlesex 2s player and who is apparently a better prospect than his older sibling.

The 2nd match saw me make a cameo of 9 not out as we posted about 170, which we successfully defended in what was almost total darkness by the end - with hindsight we'd have started proceedings an hour earlier!

This week we start, assuming I'm in the 1s we're away to Hersham, while the 2s are at home to Ottershaw and a return to the Wooda for my old opening partner, Gids.

First ever proper cricket season for me, playing for Halberton & Samford Peverell 2nds in the E division East, the bottom league. Haven't been to a cricket training session since I was 6, so this could be interesting. First game away to Kenn on Saturday, rumour has it they aren't very good but as a brand new team it is hard to predict how well we are going to do. Hopefully the weather stays ok, been very overcast the last couple of days.