• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Club Cricket 2010

wemissmoxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is Sandford still an old boys clique ?

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Is Sandford still an old boys clique ?
Never has been as far as ive known.

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can I distract you (properly sighted) cricket bauys with a silly question.

I have always been able to spin a ball, both finger and wrist, in a variety of amazing ways. Great control too, it bamboozles my kids! I was helped in developing this knowledge by sharing an office with the legend that is Vinod Chouhan for a few years, and I also have a double jointed thumb which I think may give me a freaky advantage.

This, however, is just by kind of pitching the ball with a bent elbow. I assume everybody can do this, right?

Why is it so difficult to convert that to proper bowling? Is it just the greater distance the ball has to travel in the air or, as I suspect, do the rules for a legal bowling action make it much harder to get the sort of spin that we can get with the arm bent?

Sorry - talking rubbish as ever - but if anyone can work out what I'm asking I'd be grateful for a short lecture on this subject. Thanks. :)

Last edited:

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry Credy - I appear to have spoilt your thread with a ludicrous question that nobody can bring themselves to answer.

Hope you can bring the thread back on topic with another decent knock and a couple more wickets :)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I hope I was able to deal effectively with this yesterday! :)

CREDYGRECIAN

Played against a very poor Westleigh side yesterday in the NDL...

Didnt bat as we knocked off there score of 99 , with just one wicket down.

took 4-13 off 9 overs.

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bleddy hell, those are some figures!

Yes, thanks Jase. I still don't think I have in my mind a clear idea of how much control and variety spin bowlers have. I read one of Richie Benaud's books a while back searching for an education, but don't think even he did the job for me.

Anyway, all the best to everyone for a fruitful summer.

wemissmoxey

Played against a very poor Westleigh side yesterday in the NDL...

Didnt bat as we knocked off there score of 99 , with just one wicket down.

took 4-13 off 9 overs.
Westleigh are a poor side, very poor, you only need to bowl straight and slow and you will probably do well, very boring cricket though.

I thought you were playing for Sandford's Sunday 1st team, I see they have not started too well.

CREDYGRECIAN

Westleigh are a poor side, very poor, you only need to bowl straight and slow and you will probably do well, very boring cricket though.

I thought you were playing for Sandford's Sunday 1st team, I see they have not started too well.
Im the first team skipper on sundays , but have been unavailable for both games as they have been saturdays and my football season is still going and going and going.....

Yeah they have made a shaky start but we will get better once our overseas player arrives and proper cricket starts this weekend....

we have a new zealand under 19 wicket keeper/bat coming in any day once his flight leaves Auckland , Michael Guptill-Bunce , cousin of Martin Guptill full New Zealand test cricketer.

Agree re Westleigh , it was a crap game , there the poorest side ive played against in a long while , it was nipping around a bit though to be fair to them.....

CREDYGRECIAN

Our first team tasted defeat against Exmouth on saturday.....

going well at 90odd for no wicket , they crumbled to 140 all out , which they knocked off with just 3 down....

Today see's our sunday side play Shobrooke Park , our local rivals in a NDL league game , nice day for it too , come on the ford....