• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City Youth 2014/15

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Dan Hayfield played in the age group below me at Hemyock FC a few years back. He was always overshadowed by my goalscoring antics if I'm honest :$

CC

**Adopts Arizona drawl** Where was the keeper ;)

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Roll the clock forwards a few years and he'll be passing that sideways instead of shooting.

Jammers20

Where has our youth set up gone? Something i have been thinking about since Saturday. Upon hearing from Tisdale at the start of the season it would be bringing through the youth this year. This was our squad on Saturday.
Pym-20
Bennet-24
Moore-Taylor-21
Ribs-25
Woodman-32
Sercombe-24
Harley- 30
Oakley-37
Davis-30
Morrison-36
Nichols-22
Subs
Keohane-24
Mcallister-36
Hamon-19
Wheeler-25
Nicholls-28
Tilson-22
Cummings-28
Now to me that is not a young suad. 4 of the staring 11 are under 25 and 3 of the 7 subs are under 25. 6 of the squad are over 30. 3 of those being over 35.
The like of Tilson and Riley-low, Jay, Watkins, Bryne, Reid amonst others have either not had a fair shout or have been shipped out on loan. Reid i can understand as he's been injured alot and needs games. But if Tis had said that we were looking at bringing the youth through. then why isnt he? Could they really be any worse than what he's putting out each week?

Antony Moxey

The like of Tilson and Riley-low, Jay, Watkins, Bryne, Reid amonst others have either not had a fair shout or have been shipped out on loan.
Does anyone know whether they're actually any good or not? Perhaps the likes of Woodman and Butterfield are better (hard to imagine I know) - personally, whilst I'd always like to see our youth players break through into the first team, I'd rather it was a successful first team so if that means the current crop of nippers have to wait their turn then so be it.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know whether they're actually any good or not? Perhaps the likes of Woodman and Butterfield are better (hard to imagine I know) - personally, whilst I'd always like to see our youth players break through into the first team, I'd rather it was a successful first team so if that means the current crop of nippers have to wait their turn then so be it.
This. I want the best available squad out there on a Saturday, whether the players are 18 or 38.

Considering the matchday squad listed above has five out of the starting XI as City youth products, it's a tad melodramatic in any case to say "Where has our youth set up gone?". Most clubs would kill to have five players in their starting XI who came through the ranks.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The like of Tilson and Riley-low, Jay, Watkins, Bryne, Reid amonst others have either not had a fair shout or have been shipped out on loan.
Tilson - not sure what is happening with him
Riley-Lowe - first year professional, will be introduced gently in to first team games
Jay - first year pro. Needs game time, disappointed he didn't get longer at WSM.
Watkins - First year pro. Excellent player, should be good when he gets a regular first team spot (and used properly). His game time at WSM will being him a lot of good.
Byrne - academy player, so has not signed a professional deal yet.
Reid - long term injury has hampered progress. Let's see how he gets on at Torquay. Would be good to see him called up again by Northern Ireland U21s.

Don't think we have any more Matt Grimes's coming through, yet.

Jammers20

This. I want the best available squad out there on a Saturday, whether the players are 18 or 38.

Considering the matchday squad listed above has five out of the starting XI as City youth products, it's a tad melodramatic in any case to say "Where has our youth set up gone?". Most clubs would kill to have five players in their starting XI who came through the ranks.
Of those 5. 3 have been in the squad for years. Sercombe, Bennet and Nichols have been holding down regular starting positions for at least 3 seasons. I agree its great to see that many in the starting 11 and like you say many clubs can only wish they had that many. I just thought given what Tisdale had said we would see more comming through ths year. Given our "lack of funds" the club keep going on about. did we really need to sign Mcallister, Morrison and a couple others or could those gaps have been filled by the youth. They will only get better and improve if they are given time to play.

andrew p long

Where has our youth set up gone? ....

The like of Tilson and Riley-low, Jay, Watkins, Bryne, Reid amonst others have either not had a fair shout or have been shipped out on loan. Reid i can understand as he's been injured alot and needs games. But if Tis had said that we were looking at bringing the youth through. then why isnt he? Could they really be any worse than what he's putting out each week?
Of our youth set up:-

Grimes has gone to the Premiership for £1.75m

Of the remainder from the youth set up five started the game on Saturday.

Tillson played every minute at the start of the season when we kept losing and was rightly dropped. The rest aren't ready yet; Riley-Lowe and Jay couldn't hold down regular starting places on loan at Weston super Mare and Weymouth, so it seems unlikely that they would prosper yet in the Football League.

I suspect that we've had more games played by youth products this season than by 90% of league clubs.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Lost 3-1 away at Stevenage on Saturday.