• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City vs Grimsby MDT 28/09/19

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Only 2 players in the top 4 divisions have created more goals than Randell this season which suggests he's doing a lot right already.
Great stat to see.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Lee Martin isn't a wing back, that is where Williams has been playing.
Don’t see it as he’s playing in an out and out wing back position in the way that Moxey and Friend used to as he has Sweeney behind him.

arthur

FAO Arthur and GrecIAN Harris,

I never said Williams was a wing back, that is where he has been playing though.
I wasn't questioning your judgement, but rather that of our esteemed manager for playing him in this position...

STURTZ

That first goal was very important and, for a team that continues to bring everyone back for corners, it was shocking to see how much room we left on the edge of the area. I know Archie was off the pitch at the time but we should have been able to spot such a gap in our defence.

exeter-loyal

That first goal was very important and, for a team that continues to bring everyone back for corners, it was shocking to see how much room we left on the edge of the area. I know Archie was off the pitch at the time but we should have been able to spot such a gap in our defence.
I agree we should have never of let that happen in terms of how much space we gave them and they had 2 on the edge unmarked. Having said that it was a cracking goal from the fella.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wasn't questioning your judgement, but rather that of our esteemed manager for playing him in this position...
I think the problem is fitting our best players into an eleven with a system that suits us best. Williams is perhaps best suited to playing as an out and out winger or a wide player in a front three. The problem is where do we fit the likes of Sparkes, Law, Taylor, Collins, Lee Martin, Bowman, Ajose, Richardson, Bowman etc etc.

I can see that as a wing back Williams has more of the pitch in front of him which may actually suit him as a player as sometimes as a wide midfielder / winger you can run out of room before you have got moving.

I think some of the criticism of Williams is harsh, yes he can blow hot and cold however that assists table shows he is contributing a lot to our team.

Last edited:

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I am a fan of Moxey but after so many excellent performances Saturday’s was disappointing. The penalty was as a result of a clumsy challenge and he was beaten all ends up when the Grimsby Forward turned inside him before scoring their third goal.

TSW1389

Archie Collins is usually assigned to mark the edge of the box I think and he was off after receiving treatment for when he got fouled on the breakaway. Hope he's not damaged that shoulder looked he was carrying an injury when he went off.
Grimsby usually leave 1 back but didn't as they saw they had an overload on numbers so didn't need to

older-codger

I know Archie was off the pitch at the time but we should have been able to spot such a gap in our defence.
The problem was that we clearly don't know the rules. Archie should not have been off the field as card had been shown for the foul. He was not having further treatment and should have stayed on the pitch - possibly covering that gap

Red Devon

Seen a few comments on the socials saying it wasn’t a corner.