• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City Goalscorers Nerd Out

DawlishBouy

You have him at 88 League goals (typo in your spreadsheet), and 13 in the cup to give 101 in total. It looks like I am one cup goal short then (I have missed one of his FL trophy goals)!
Just downloaded the PDF onto my Mac and it shows 98 for me. Mis-prints when downloaded to a Windows computer?

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just downloaded the PDF onto my Mac and it shows 98 for me. Mis-prints when downloaded to a Windows computer?
88 league goals with 13 cup and trophy goals from your spreadsheet so 101 goals altogether. Sounds about right. A lot of different sources I came across for different players had a goal or two difference.

One thing that sticks in my mind is that quite a bit of fuss was made when Dazza hit the 100 goal mark but I cannot remember any similar fuss over Nev's. Might just be my memory though 🙂

JJ red&white

Yep your subtotal says 98 but when you add them up it’s only 88.

DawlishBouy

Blonde moment with the adding up . It is 88 League goals.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Did the goals not have nets in those days? I can just about remember keepers not wearing gloves. In fact the first City game I watched we had a bald keeper (can't recall his name) and he wasn't wearing gloves!

fred binneys head

John shaw?

PeteUSA

John shaw?

John Shaw is the only City keeper I can recall in my time who was bald! He wasnt always bald though, It was a condition brought about by some kind of shock I believe. He had a full head of hair when he was Bristol Citys number one keeper! Obviously his skin was somewhat delicate when he was with us, since he wore track-suit bottoms in the middle of the summer! One of my pet hates.

IndoMike

John Shaw is the only City keeper I can recall in my time who was bald! He wasnt always bald though, It was a condition brought about by some kind of shock I believe. He had a full head of hair when he was Bristol Citys number one keeper! Obviously his skin was somewhat delicate when he was with us, since he wore track-suit bottoms in the middle of the summer! One of my pet hates.
He had alopecia, Pete, apparently brought on by severe stress.
He joked 'You try keeping behind (Bristol) City's defense for 11 years and see what your hair looks like".
He was very close to becoming Scotland's no. 1 at one stage

From Doc Google.

Rosencrantz

Initially I was only really looking for strikers/forward players which is why I originally left Harley of the 50 scorers list. When I was looking at more recent strikers/forwards though to compare I thought I would include him due to the number of goals scored. Thinking about it, a comparison with Mark Cooper, another goalscoring midfielder would be interesting 😉.
Answering my own question I know, but Mark Cooper scored 34 goals for City from 162 appearances at an average 4.76 appearances per goal. A really good record and comparable to Harley. Mark did play some games as a centre forward during one of his spells here though if I remember correctly.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Seeing as there is always a debate going on about City strikers/goalscorers and I was bored this afternoon, I thought I would get a spreadsheet going to see if anything interesting pops out. As data is kind of all over the place in different sources, I used the ECFC Bible for stats up to 1990 and Soccerbase for most of the stats after.**

**Steve Moran was from an archived database online as Wiki and Grecian Archive only seemed to have league stats.
**Steve Neville is up to and including 1989/90 but not 1990/91, his last season with us, which is a bit of a pain to find without turfing my old programmes out of the attic. Grecian Archive stats seemed a bit conflicting.

So fifty goals or more for the mighty Grecians are as follows..

PlayerGoalsAppearances
Tony Kellow151377
Alan Banks109286
Darran Rowbotham101274
Fred Binney98189
Steve Flack94414
Graham Rees92370
Steve Neville86305
Harold Houghton83223
Angus MacKay83270
Keith Bowker76241
Douglas Regan70224
Charlie McClelland65197
James Bell63119
George Purcell63249
Ray Pratt62180
Fred Whitlow6286
Alan Beer56126
Ray Carter53109
Archie Smith52125
Ted Calland51108
Richard Ebdon51144
Jayden Stockley5198
Harold Kirk50154
So I think that makes MJ the 24th player to score 50 goals for City. Looking at that list he has a good chance of moving up a few places before the end of the season and if he stays at City will hopefully be close to the top 10 in a year or two.