• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Christy - So far, so good?

AlanDevlin

There you are, Pete... Another soundproofed room for you to shout your gob off in... Have fun!

GrecianWonder

Well we'll have to wait until the highlights to form an opinion!

flakey pasty

Well we'll have to wait until the highlights to form an opinion!
Pete's probably got an opinion already.

grecian55

Pete's probably got an opinion already.
And i bet the majority on here can guess what it is ? ,do you think Pete may have been a failed keeper in a previous life ?

citydrinker

2 minute hobble from the nearest pub. Or in it.
Yaawwwwwnnnnnnnnn........

I thought baiting went out with the Bears.

I for one do not fully support the views of Pete, but I do suspect that (rightly, or wrongly) they are formed by someone who cares.

Whatever....

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
There you are, Pete... Another soundproofed room for you to shout your gob off in... Have fun!
Okay, I think this room is reasonably soundproof! (tmi)

So, its been over six months since Alan kindly constructed this thread, and I'm sure that in the time thats passed, up to and including saturday, many people will have formed an opinion on Mr Pym. I dont have much to contribute, and I wouldnt be scathing anyway, since he's 'one of our own' as it were, and I liked his Uncle Chuckles, who is badly missed on here.

At this point, the pro's far outweigh the con's as I see it; his kicking is excellent in all aspects and there's not much to improve on there. He is extraordinarily agile, and his reactions and reflexes are up there with the best of the City keepers I've witnessed over 50+ years. He does have one recurring weakness however, which was evident on saturday, and that is his decision making on when to come off his line for a corner or cross. If Hartlepool had had a forward who could header a ball on saturday, we would have been two down at half time, since Pym stayed rooted to the goal line when he really should have been coming out for crosses that he stayed put for.

There's no taking away the fact that he has won two caps for England Under 20's, and he, and we should be justly proud, but he does have a couple of downsides, not the least of which is his stature. I dont believe he's much more than 5'8" at this point, and he does look lost occasionally defending a goal thats eight feet high and eight yards wide! This aspect of course wont be lost on opposition players anymore than his youthfull appearance, but the latter will rectify itself only too quickly! ;( As for the height thing, its said that males dont stop growing until they're 21, so hopefully he'll gain a couple of inches in the next year or so. If he doesnt, all I can reiterate is there have been an awful lot of keepers of similar height that have made it to the very top in the Football League - notably Wolves Bert Williams, who became Englands first choice keeper for a very long time in the 50's. What he lacked in stature, he made up for with agility, and we know that Pym has got plenty of that.

So everything in Pyms garden looks reasonably rosy.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Okay, I think this room is reasonably soundproof! (tmi)

So, its been over six months since Alan kindly constructed this thread, and I'm sure that in the time thats passed, up to and including saturday, many people will have formed an opinion on Mr Pym. I dont have much to contribute, and I wouldnt be scathing anyway, since he's 'one of our own' as it were, and I liked his Uncle Chuckles, who is badly missed on here.

At this point, the pro's far outweigh the con's as I see it; his kicking is excellent in all aspects and there's not much to improve on there. He is extraordinarily agile, and his reactions and reflexes are up there with the best of the City keepers I've witnessed over 50+ years. He does have one recurring weakness however, which was evident on saturday, and that is his decision making on when to come off his line for a corner or cross. If Hartlepool had had a forward who could header a ball on saturday, we would have been two down at half time, since Pym stayed rooted to the goal line when he really should have been coming out for crosses that he stayed put for.

There's no taking away the fact that he has won two caps for England Under 20's, and he, and we should be justly proud, but he does have a couple of downsides, not the least of which is his stature. I dont believe he's much more than 5'8" at this point, and he does look lost occasionally defending a goal thats eight feet high and eight yards wide! This aspect of course wont be lost on opposition players anymore than his youthfull appearance, but the latter will rectify itself only too quickly! ;( As for the height thing, its said that males dont stop growing until they're 21, so hopefully he'll gain a couple of inches in the next year or so. If he doesnt, all I can reiterate is there have been an awful lot of keepers of similar height that have made it to the very top in the Football League - notably Wolves Bert Williams, who became Englands first choice keeper for a very long time in the 50's. What he lacked in stature, he made up for with agility, and we know that Pym has got plenty of that.

Good response to a **** poor op.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Christy Pym is 1.78 metres (5 feet 10 inches).

PeteUSA

Christy Pym is 1.78 metres (5 feet 10 inches).
I would doubt that John. A standard goal has to be 8 feet high from the ground to the underside of the crossbar. Look at any footage of Pym stood in goal, and there appears to be an awful lot more than 2'2" between his head and the underside of the bar.

WXF

Which joker has hacked Pete's account? Mods!