• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Christy Pym

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Oh the irony. This thread was started exactly two years ago to the day by your good self. The very first post mentions his stature.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think one of the main reasons that City have turned things around so radically is Christy Pym making the first choice for keeper spot his very own. I doubt if Olejnik will be selected again barring injury, and even then I suspect Hamon would be next in line.

Conceding so few goals in the consecutive games he's played is admirable, and I hope things work out for him after an 'iffy' spell involving Tisdale (allegedly) last season, and some questionable keeping earlier this season. He's obviously turned the corner so to speak, and I think his mindset and positive influence spreads throughout the entire team.

For anyone who considers me to be a Pym basher, you should know that I was asked my opinion of his ability long before he got anywhere near playing for City. Based on the evidence I had, I reported that he was short in stature, but given the age that he was four or five years ago, that was no big deal. Male adults dont stop growing until they're 21. I further suggested his reactions and acrobatic ability more than made up for any stature issue. Apart from his height at that time, I could see no reason why he wouldnt make the grade in the football league. His goalkeeping was exemplory in all aspects.

That was my Pym take four or five years ago, nothings changed. He has issues a bit to work on during an actual game, such as decision making coming off his line (or not), and I'd like him to face up to an oncoming forward with more commitment, but by and large he's very nearly there.
So Mr HH12, this was my opening post two years ago. Where on earth are you seeing any irony? I did put down some of what I thought were the points he needed to work on, and one of those points remain unaddressed i.e. him advancing off his line in a one on one with an attacker. I dont know where you thought I was criticising Pym in that first Pym post; but I suppose if you look hard enough you'll come up with something?! Even a blind squirill finds the odd nut every once in a while.

Red Bill

One thing I've never done is "bang on about Pyms height"! Its an aspect of his game that he cant do anything about. I think to bring his height into a discussion like you have is most unfair, just to create an argument. On this occasion, you're the one who wont do his confidence a lot of good, should he read this.

For what its worth, which isnt that much, I dont believe he's any more than 5'9". Thats not a handicap either. Many top flight keepers in the past have been no taller than that.
For god's sake man, what is the matter with you! Christy Pym is not 5'9" he's 6'.

If you want some idea for yourself, go to the first team page on the club website and look at the team photo. Also in the middle row are Jonathan Forte and Hiram Boateng, both of whom are also 6', hold a ruler between the top of both their heads and then tell me that Christy is 3 inches shorter. Next but one from Christy is Troy Brown who's 6' 1", can you seriously tell me you think Christy is 4" shorter than him? Unless of course you think there's some massive conspiracy here just to trick you and everyone else in the middle row was made to bend their knees to make him look taller. Its time to accept that what those of us who've actually seen the man in real life have been telling you is the truth and accept you're wrong!

Grecian2K

Waits for dear old Pate to respond by claiming that Christie was standing on a box for the purpose of the photo. ;)

PeteUSA

For god's sake man, what is the matter with you! Christy Pym is not 5'9" he's 6'.

If you want some idea for yourself, go to the first team page on the club website and look at the team photo. Also in the middle row are Jonathan Forte and Hiram Boateng, both of whom are also 6', hold a ruler between the top of both their heads and then tell me that Christy is 3 inches shorter. Next but one from Christy is Troy Brown who's 6' 1", can you seriously tell me you think Christy is 4" shorter than him? Unless of course you think there's some massive conspiracy here just to trick you and everyone else in the middle row was made to bend their knees to make him look taller. Its time to accept that what those of us who've actually seen the man in real life have been telling you is the truth and accept you're wrong!
You're getting to serious with the "for gods sake man" comment Bill. Calm down before you have some kind of cerebral issue. This is a friendly forum between Exeter City fans; Stop getting so bitter and twisted. I'm not carrying out the measurement experiment you recommend re: Pym. You sidle up behind him in a bar somewhere and run the steel rule up over him; Just dont get caught!

Red Bill

You're getting to serious with the "for gods sake man" comment Bill. Calm down before you have some kind of cerebral issue. This is a friendly forum between Exeter City fans; Stop getting so bitter and twisted. I'm not carrying out the measurement experiment you recommend re: Pym. You sidle up behind him in a bar somewhere and run the steel rule up over him; Just dont get caught!
Priceless! You'been enlessly banging on about how tall (or not) he is ever since he came into the side. I don't need to side up to him in a bar as i've stood next to him before and he's a lot taller than me!
You do my head in endlessly going on about Pym not being tall, i'very given you away you can see for yourself how tall he really is but you won't do that because you don't want to accept you'very been wrong all this time. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story eh!

Last edited:

PeteUSA

Priceless! You'been enlessly banging on about how tall (or not) he is ever since he came into the side. I don't need to side up to him in a bar as i've stood next to him before and he's a lot taller than me!
You do my head in endlessly going on about Pym not being tall, i'very given you away you can see for yourself how tall he really is but you won't do that because you don't want to accept you'very been wrong all this time. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story eh!
When I was asked my opinion of Pym back when he would have been 16 or so, my immediate response was that he was extremely agile, with extraordinary reaction to shots in general. The only thing I pointed out which was obvious at that time was that he wasnt tall enough to be a keeper, although I further added that given his age at that time he should grow more between then and the age of 21. Obviously he has grown, but I dont believe he's any taller than 5'9" at this time; theres no conceivable way he's 6'0" tall! There; for the very first time Bill just for you, I've mentioned his height, I dont know where you're finding me "banging on" about that topic on here, since theres nothing whatever he can do about it. I know a 6'0" keeper when I see one, and he's not it. He appears to have bulked up somewhat of late, but that makes no difference to his height.

Spoonz Red E

♪ ♫ If I ruled the world
Every day would be the first day of spring
Every Pym would be the length of a string .... ♪ ♫ ♪

PeteUSA

♪ ♫ If I ruled the world
Every day would be the first day of spring
Every Pym would be the length of a string .... ♪ ♫ ♪
Nice melodic post Mike; just right to soothe the frazzled nerve endings. Why cant we just get along without periodic farcical flare-ups?

Matt Russell

When I was asked my opinion of Pym back when he would have been 16 or so, my immediate response was that he was extremely agile, with extraordinary reaction to shots in general. The only thing I pointed out which was obvious at that time was that he wasnt tall enough to be a keeper, although I further added that given his age at that time he should grow more between then and the age of 21. Obviously he has grown, but I dont believe he's any taller than 5'9" at this time; theres no conceivable way he's 6'0" tall! There; for the very first time Bill just for you, I've mentioned his height, I dont know where you're finding me "banging on" about that topic on here, since theres nothing whatever he can do about it. I know a 6'0" keeper when I see one, and he's not it. He appears to have bulked up somewhat of late, but that makes no difference to his height.
How far from Arizona is La La Land?