• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Christy Pym has gone Posh

Stelios

Cracking goalkeeper. Really solid. Gives a lot of confidence to the back 4 having someone like that behind them. A sad loss and will be missed but wish him all the best.

Also, as Tagg mentioned he made loads of appearances for ECFC in the Community etc too.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
He was a good keeper but I suspect his physical attributes and ability to deal with crosses will limit his career. The further up the leagues you go the taller the keepers get.
At 6ft he would be the shortest goalkeeper in the top flight. I'm not sure who the shortest keeper in the Championship is but I suspect it's more than 6ft.

Red Bill

You know what you've done there Anonymous don't you? I don't know what time it is in Arizona but surely this can't slip by!

Fareham Grecian

You know what you've done there Anonymous don't you? I don't know what time it is in Arizona but surely this can't slip by!
The time in Arizona - and indeed in Pete’s mind - is around 1957...

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
The further up the leagues you go the taller the keepers get.
At 6ft he would be the shortest goalkeeper in the top flight. I'm not sure who the shortest keeper in the Championship is but I suspect it's more than 6ft.
Have you carried out some kind of survey ?

Pym is probably about the shortest keeper in league 2.

Your post is complete and utter garbage imho, I doubt the average height of glovesmen in the premier league is much different to those in league 2.

Last edited:

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
On the Pym height thing, I dont believe he's anymore than 5'9" (Anonymous). That need not be any kind of drawback. I'm not going to reel off the keepers in the past who were 5'9" again, but a couple of popular ones who played for City were no taller than that: Richard Key was an absolute first choice for us in the 70's when we won promotion, and his height was never in question. Similarly Len Bond in the 80's was a total fans favorite, and he was just about 5'9"- Nobody ever mentioned that they were short because they did the job they'd been totally trained for with shots and crosses. Height doesnt come into it if a keeper is solid in all other aspects.

Its true to say that most if not all the Premiership keepers are in excess of 6'0" (in some cases by miles). I haven't made a study of the Championship keepers but at a glance they too look big and tall. Pym shouldn't be put off by that though. As long as he commands his box more and deals with crosses appropriatley, his height shouldn't matter. Wolves favorite of the 50's Bert Williams was just about 5'9" - It didnt stop him getting capped for the full England team.

Red Bill

Told you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grecian2K

If we're talking player heights (outfield as well as glovesmen) thanks to the cowshed anthem of the 70s & 80s we do, at least, know that Jimmy Giles was 6ft 2 :D

Last edited:

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
And the colour of his eyes as well

Grecian2K

Sorry Pate but, having empirically determined Giler's height the attached team photo does seem to prove that even allowing for the extravagant hairstyles of the era Richard Key (standing next to JG) was virtually the same height (i.e 6 ft 2).

And, in fact, Vince O'Keefe looks to even be an inch of so taller than that!!!

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/w1600/pict/372595405778_/Exeter-City-Football-Team-Photo1978-79-Season.jpg

(Or will you try to convince us that our two glovesmen that season wore extra-extra long studs?)