• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Christmas Day Lunch/Dinner

Stelios

Antony Moxey is winning so far. Sounds absolutely bleddy delicious.

Did not realise cauliflower cheese was an xmas thing though. Never had cheesecake at xmas either. But why not?

Simple homemade mince pies much nicer than shop bought.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Wait until Stroudy regales us with his menu.

STURTZ

Put the buggers into hot water and boil for about 3 minutes until they have started to soften but remain quite firm. Do not boil the poor sods to buggery. Drain the sproutage. Pan fry some lardons or pancetta and chopped chestnuts or other chopped nuts. Add the sprouts and bubble with some reduced vegetable stock and Riesling wine. Enjoy.
Very similar to how I do them but I cut the sprouts in half (None of this make a cross with a knife bollox) and steam them for a short while. Use pancetta but hadn't thought of chestnuts or Reisling!

Yum yum but have to be careful of too many processes going on when you're cooking for seven and already half pist.

Gonna try cooking red cabbage, making stuffing and par boiling potatoes the day before, apparently its better.

Last edited:

Swanaldo

Tend to agree with him on the cauliflower cheese mind.
Cauliflower and broccoli cheese here. 2 parts cauli to 1 part broc. Two teaspoons of English mustard in the cheese sauce.

Swanaldo

Are people buying those little pigs in blankets, or making their own full size versions?

Antony Moxey

Does SWMBO prepare all that or do you also man the kitchen ?
She’s a far better cook than I’ll ever be so she sorts all that out. However, under her guidance I’ll be doing all the prep and non-cooking stuff. :)

Antony Moxey

Did not realise cauliflower cheese was an xmas thing though. Never had cheesecake at xmas either. But why not?

Simple homemade mince pies much nicer than shop bought.
Very nice of you to say so. As for the ‘unusual’ additions - as you say, why not? If you like it, have it! And rest assured our mince pies will definitely be home made.

Antony Moxey

Are people buying those little pigs in blankets, or making their own full size versions?
We’re buying them. However, we’re buying them from Greendale where my boy works as a butcher and he’ll be the one making them!

Swanaldo

We’re buying them from Greendale.
That sounds good.

Whilst I don't think there's such a thing as a bad Pig in Blanket, surely it's worth doing them properly. I'd rather have two 'hand rolled' butchers chipolatas on my plate than 5 or 6 of those Tesco ready made efforts.

Antony Moxey

Yep, properly good. The butchers, fish and deli at Greendale are an utter joy.