• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheltenham Town v Exeter City - Carabao Cup

tonykellowfan

We of course pocketed a seven figure sum from drawing Manure in the 3rd Round of the FACup in 2005. It even saved the Club, what's not to like about that ? :unsure:
Which of course was in the FA Cup which the lower league fans and clubs tend to care about.

The Carabou cup not so much.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
We of course pocketed a seven figure sum from drawing Manure in the 3rd Round of the FACup in 2005. It even saved the Club, what's not to like about that ? :unsure:
Well, if we play Man U in the EFL and pocket 700k this season you will be proved right and I will be delighted I was wrong.
But if we got any serious injuries as a result of an EFL Cup run then I would be right
Btw, we were talking about the EFL Cup, not the FA Cup

Last edited:

denzel

Which of course was in the FA Cup which the lower league fans and clubs tend to care about.

The Carabou cup not so much.
We played Liverpool in the league Cup.
And Sunderland not so long ago, I'm sure a few really enjoyed going up there for that one.

denzel

Well, if we play Man U in the EFL and pocket 700k this season you will be proved right and I will be delighted I was wrong.
But if we got any serious injuries as a result of an EFL Cup run then I would be right
Btw, we were talking about the EFL Cup, not the FA Cup
There is more to football than money. Seeing us take on higher league clubs, either at our place or theirs, is always a delight and a welcome break from the league.

Average Joe

We were a non league team playing at that point the best team with the best players in the world.

We are now a league one club so would not get anywhere near as much coverage.

A lot has changed in the intervening years, not least the lack of seriousness with which PL clubs treat the FA Cup (esp the 3rd and 4th rounds).

The mooted plans to move FA Cup games to midweek will be a further nail in a once glorius trophy's history.

Colesman Ballz

We were a non league team playing at that point the best team with the best players in the world.

We are now a league one club so would not get anywhere near as much coverage.
The amount of coverage did not make a massive difference to the overall income received.
The televised replay brought in some cash no doubt but not a huge percentage of our gross receipts. Of course rather hilariously the Sun did ring up the Club to TELL us that they were going to sponsor our shirts for the replay, until we politely pointed out that we were already sponsored by an airline. So they were forced to settle for little tags on our players bootlaces, but Scott Hiley duly obliged by nutmegging CR7 which gave them their photo op !
Frankly any extra unbudgetted money we can earn from Cup games is not to be sneezed at, and those games against the "Big Boys" enthrall our fanbase and provide the legendary occasions in our history.

andrew p long

I think if we win tomorrow then there is a 20% chance of drawing a Premiership side in the next round.

(IIRC all the Premiership sides come in at the 2nd round stage, except for those who are in European competitions).

I'd therefore love to win. But there is a downside; it means 9 games in 28 days (6 August- 3 September).

Agent Andy

Rumour has it Taylor’s fell out with Pond and Lee , so can’t see them getting any game time tomorrow, will be pretty strong tomorrow and Cox will get some minutes.
Any cup run will generate much needed income at the moment .

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Given that Jamal has only played one game for us I would have thought playing him was really important for team bonding. Unless of course his ankle needs a rest.