• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Can we make improvements to the away end to enhance the away fan experience?

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
It retails for £2. If the away fan would have spent that anyway, that's £2 per cup we lose out on. There may be a few that think 'oh that's nice of them' but do they come back?
I have read numerous mentions on different football forums of the free tea and coffee offer by fans of teams who have visited SJP. Personally, I feel this puts our club in a good light and as the saying goes what goes around comes around and I would like to feel we are warmly welcomed at away grounds. I don't know if you build a picture of what other exewebbers look like but I never thought of you as a character from A Chrstmas Carol before .......

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
…….I'm not a fan of the drum, maybe it’s my age...never needed one back in the day!
Chris Cosway, the Cowshed drummer, would like a quiet word !

denzel

I know I'm being painted as a curmudgeon, it's not my usual tack.
I saw something recently which suggests we have the lowest average number of away fans in the league, we had less than 300 Peterborough fans for example. So why haven't they been flocking down considering we are so nice?
Did we have any free teas anywhere else this season? Honestly, would it entice you to going back?
And coffees do cost more than a couple of pence, I'm sure someone in the catering industry can talk about.

I just think it shouldn't be a priority given the issues with catering elsewhere.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I saw something recently which suggests we have the lowest average number of away fans in the league, we had less than 300 Peterborough fans for example. So why haven't they been flocking down considering we are so nice?
Did we have any free teas anywhere else this season? Honestly, would it entice you to going back?
And coffees do cost more than a couple of pence, I'm sure someone in the catering industry can talk about.

I just think it shouldn't be a priority given the issues with catering elsewhere.
More Ebeneezer than curmudgeon methinks. I had my hand in a few hospitality businesses and I can tell you that a tea costs around 7p-10p and a coffee around 35p given we aren't dispensing barista coffee only instant.
If we get more money from away fans wont it make it more likely we can improve matters elsewhere by generating more cash
I can't quite believe you are asking the reason we get so many fewer away fans visit can I suggest a map of the British Isles and the location of Exeter could be a give away :love:

manc grecian

Ita no wonder we can't get Demi to sign a new contract with all these free brews we're giving out.

Sort it out Tetleysthorpe.

PeteUSA

That joke away end stand needs to be done away with. Theres no need for a pathway along the back of it. Terracing should be shifted back to the way it used to be, it would improve our ground capacity by 1,000+. Access could be from along the front like it used to be. If that Barnet relic needs to be used at all, it could be shifted back by 10 feet. Away fans at the front might get wet, but hay-ho!

Application of the above would improve the away end experience no end.

Last edited:

Colesman Ballz

You need to brush up on your geography as well ! We are a long way to travel for most clubs, particularly when it comes to a midweek evening fixture. We do get good feedback and comments on the forums of visiting fans, it is all about establishing a reputation as a good place to go, and hence to return to in future seasons. It doesn't happen overnight. In league one we are playing more games against bigger teams who haven't been regular opponents. We need to establish ourselves as a great place to go, so that when the fixtures are published we are identified as such.

Colesman Ballz

That joke away end stand needs to be done away with. Theres no need for a pathway along the back of it. Terracing should be shifted back to the way it used to be, it would improve our ground capacity by 1,000+. Access could be from along the front like it used to be. If that Barnet relic needs to be used at all, it could be shifted back by 10 feet. Away fans at the front might get wet, but hay-ho!

Next thing that you will be suggesting is to do away with the new toilets and return to pi$$ing up against the St James Road wall like the GIs did in WW2, you old dinosaur ! :p

PeteUSA

Next thing that you will be suggesting is to do away with the new toilets and return to pi$$ing up against the St James Road wall like the GIs did in WW2, you old dinosaur ! :p
Speaking of pi$$ing up the wall, I hope the stretch of concrete the GI's used to pi$$ up is being well preserved under that terrace! My father used to pi$$ up that!

Antony Moxey

So if you move the walkway from the back of the stand to the front of the stand how does that improve capacity? You still need a walkway, it still has to be the same width. Where do you gain extra capacity if all you’ve done is moved a stand? A 10x10 box is still a 10x10 box no matter where it’s located.