• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 227 59.6%
  • Out

Votes: 154 40.4%

• Total voters

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I disagree. These days I hate games against them, there is always menace and conflict in the air, it's an uncomfortable experience. Fun for the kids and uber-tribalists, I suppose, but now I'm old, I can do without the hassle. If we never play them again I'd lose no sleep, in fact the reverse.
If anything it’s gone in the other direction, a lack edge certainly at SJP where only the Argyle shirt wearing pasty munchers can get a ticket

The 4-2 loss down at their place was one of my favourite games with them despite the loss

Always more interesting than the rest of League 1

Grecian Max

For me the purpose of supporting City is to, one day, finish above them in the league!
We don't often win but when we do those games rank as the best games I have ever seen.

...and they are local.
100% agree

Also we have a good record in the last 15 years or so against them

The rivalry with Argyle elevates us from many other lower league clubs

I look for their result first every week, love to see them fail

grecIAN Harris

I disagree. These days I hate games against them, there is always menace and conflict in the air, it's an uncomfortable experience. Fun for the kids and uber-tribalists, I suppose, but now I'm old, I can do without the hassle. If we never play them again I'd lose no sleep, in fact the reverse.
You must be in a minority of very few. My Dad feels the same as about going to Gnome Park but wouldn't miss the home game for the world. Turning over your local rivals is always one of the biggest thrills for any fan behind actually winning a League or Cup.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
You must be in a minority of very few. My Dad feels the same as about going to Gnome Park but wouldn't miss the home game for the world. Turning over your local rivals is always one of the biggest thrills for any fan behind actually winning a League or Cup.
Happy to be in a minority over this (and anything else).

I'd rather be right than popular, as a rule.

Is there anyone who would have been zero-risk? Maybe Kevin Nicholson would have been the cheap option, but that would have had all sorts of different risks.
I suspect Kev wouldn't have a contact list like GC and I really wonder if he in fact wanted the job and he seems more than happy being assistant manager.
Players where GC had some sort of contact:
Scott and White didn't work out.
Cole, Mitchell, Aitchison, Niskanen, Trevitt and maybe others I can't remember( including Fitzwater who we haven't seen enough of for judgement).
Other good signings include Jules, Carroll, Purrington,Aimson, Harris, Vil, Rankine and Harper, but maybe without GC connection.
On the whole good signings and could Kev or even Matt have signed players of a better quality?

scottus86

Do you not think there’s another phenomenon in football fanbases where sometimes an individual, be it a player or manager doesn’t seem to ever get accepted?
The visceral and OTT reaction to the Torquay PSF defeat in the summer was an indicator to me at least that GC might be a victim of that mentality and fall into that category of someone who whatever he does it won’t ever be enough.
As a manager there’s no getting away from poor performances obviously, but a lot our of number seemed very eager to jump
on GC as our manager and leave all logic behind when the dark days of this season were at their darkest..
GC took a while to win me over but after the first 8 or so games this season I was convinced he was our man. Then we didn't win in what seemed at first like unfortunate streak, but manifested into one of out worst runs ever.

I don't think you can criticise anyone who wanted to get rid of him from Fleetwood through to Christmas.

GC has turned the ship and delivered on a promise that after January things would improve.

One more win and my vote will change, but I won't be singing his praises like I did at the start of the season for a while yet.

Grecian2K

...and they are local.
But, on the down side you do need a full course of vaccinations prior to every visit.

Grecian Max

I'd rather be right than popular, as a rule.
Said many an exewebber 😂

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I didn't do the home game last season, as didn't want to take my son in that environment and haven't done a Devon Derby at home park since the league game, in the same season as the JPT Game where we won in the last second

We8Argyle

Looking forward to the two Devon derbies in the league next season

Reactions: Ash