• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 227 59.6%
  • Out

Votes: 154 40.4%

• Total voters

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just to add a bit of historical perspective, IF??? we manage to stay up this season - by whatever means - it still mist rank with some of the better spells of the ECFC story?
Since the introduction of the "4 tier system" our record at this level has been:
1964-66: 2 Seasons: 17th and 22nd
1990-92: 4 Seasons: 16th, 20th, 19th and 22nd
2009-12: 3 Seasons: 18th, 8th and 23rd
Only in, what for we Ancient Greeks still fondly look back upon as our golden era:
1977-84: 7 Seasons, did we manage a sustained run at this level - and even then in 4 of those we ended up below half way.
It is salutary to note that ALL of those ended in some degree of financial crisis that could have ended our club.

It maybe cautionary to consider that many of those supporters of other "big-bollox-minnows" - Hereford, Oldham, York, and Yeovil are just that immediately spring to mind who enjoyed fleeting moments "Championship Glory" or even above there - ended up deep in the doogy-do.

It's not "lack of ambition" - it's reality for clubs of our size.
To criticise Caldwell is not to dispute the above.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's not just money. He's an international level striker. Depending on how wide you want to draw the definition, you could reasonably say he's one of the finest centre forwards on the planet. It would be absurd for him to stick with us.
Well he could easily have gone to Mansfield..

Grecian2K

To criticise Caldwell is not to dispute the above.
Not saying that for a second.
Merely pointing out that for the time being at least he's still (just about) managing to keep a steady ship, given our available resources

denzel

He's doing alright because we are moving in the right direction albeit slowly. Some of the signings have been hit and miss and I still think he has a big transfer window in the Summer

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't dispute the fact he's done pretty well to get us to a point of being all but safe from relegation, especially given the churn of players, however, my opinion is based on entertainment value at SJP.

If GC can get us playing an entertaining brand of football at SJP I'll change my mind on him. We can have as many mid table finishes as we like, if home games are generally boring and lacking in goals I'll want a change.

Grecian Max

It's not "lack of ambition" - it's reality for clubs of our size.
And what is our size exactly? It seems to be variable and on an upward curve way beyond many seasons of post-Covid

The city is also growing at a faster pace than a lot of the country statistically

denzel

And what is our size exactly? It seems to be variable and on an upward curve way beyond many seasons of post-Covid

The city is also growing at a faster pace than a lot of the country statistically
Behind quite a few league one sides (and Crawley) in this list...

Colesman Ballz

Well he could easily have gone to Mansfield..
Only in Fatty Evans dreams ! :p

Grecian2K

And what is our size exactly?
A sub10k capacity stadium for one thing. That surely sets a fundamental ceiling?
Or course we could find a "sugar daddy" for a brief dalliance to reach behind the sofa and gift us not only a new state-of-the-art stadium but also a PL standard team at the same time? Sadly, such dalliances usually end in tears.
Darlington is the classic example - but I could also suggest Bolton/Derby/Wigan/Reading/MKFranchise just for starters.

Grecian Max

Behind quite a few league one sides (and Crawley) in this list...

By quite a few, you mean 4

Exeter is the 10th fastest growing place in the country, without many local rivals to knock our attendances down

Comparing to the past isn't always relevant