• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
That’s good to hear - the correct word is ‘accept’ not ‘except’. People who get that wrong really grip my shit.
😂😂 I’ll blame it on writing the post on the bog

No acceptions

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
There’s plenty not inclined to give GC credit even when you compare the budget league table with the actual league table.
I think the biggest factor in offsetting our low end budget maybe the quality of our current manager IMO.
Name me one Exewebber who won't give GC credit for where we've finished in the table this year and I'll concede the point.

On your second point, we agree - but he wasn't showing that quality for 100 days and at a club with a private owner and bigger budget he'd have been sacked. Hawker kept him in the job and it's more than redressed our budget deficit.

iscalad

That’s good to hear - the correct word is ‘accept’ not ‘except’. People who get that wrong really grip my shit.
Yay, pedantary😍

andrew p long

I imagine there's more than one way these things can be counted and the most convenient is selected. Like how we've always got both the best and worst performing economy in the G7 at all times. It's irritating to be sold stuff when we should be getting things straightforwardly.
It's also the case that the figures and facts change. The money we put into the January window and the ensuing wages for the 6 new signings represent a (large) increase in budget. And others budgets changed too. A moving picture..

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think whilst publicly acknowledging what a good job GC did in the end (how could you do otherwise?) you’re guilty of constantly seeking to caveat his ‘success’, as with your desire here to believe Hawker’s more generous story about our budget and accusing GC of obviously wanting to put it out there that we had a bottom two budget to make himself look good.
You don’t rate him and it grips your sh1t that after going ‘all in’ on wanting him gone, he’s made you look (and me incidentally!) foolish.
Admit it.
Wow, this is the most bizarre take.

'ADMIT IT' 😂

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Really isn’t the case at all 😂 if you spoke to me in person you’d realise this

One thing I need to be good at in my job is to take feedback and iterate, it means I have to except I’m “wrong” a fair bit to get to the right answer - I honestly am happy to be proven wrong and it definitely doesn’t “grip my shit”

I’ve noted your tone on the politics thread and needless to say you struggle to have a mature, balanced conversation which is a shame as you can post well on here too

I’m genuinely really excited about the prospect of next season under Caldwell, he didn’t just prove me wrong in terms of results but his ideas clearly started to come to alive - you could see it in the performances

It wasn’t 10 or 20 minutes here and there, but more consistency - there was element of it all clicking. Caldwell has stated himself that we didn’t play very well at the start of the season and got results in spite of that

He said that the Shrewsbury game was one of the worst he’d ever seen

He admits his mistakes and has managed to develop this side behind its means

I think he’s doing a great job and I’m buzzing for it. With the right recruitment in the summer I can envisage a side that eclipses all of what we’ve seen from ECFC before. That’s how much my faith has swung.

What’s funny here is that I know you agree with me about the limitations of the trust - I suspect the club IS low down in the table but that the bottom 2 rhetoric is laying it on thick somewhat

I don’t blame GC for using that Taggy quote, I would in the same position

I have no desire either way other than to know who’s telling the truth - because Hawker came out and specified otherwise. It would be a concern if Gary is unaware where we stand budget wise, wouldn’t it?

From your post it sounds like you believe it to be true we are bottom 2 (below the giants Cheltenham, Burton and Stevenage) - in which case Hawker has fed us something that’s incorrect. Personally I don’t believe that - for all their faults, the trust are pretty “to the book”

Think logically.
AHH. So you hate GC!

Got it 🤣

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
With regards to the budget, how would even Hawker or Taggy know where we sit budget wise without knowing every other teams budget?

sign of the chimes

With regards to the budget, how would even Hawker or Taggy know where we sit budget wise without knowing every other teams budget?
Unless things have changed in the last year or two each club gets information showing them their relative position within their league (without getting info on others). I believe they may also get info on the overall range of budgets within the division.

i.e. Pompey will be told they're 5th in L1 and that the top budget is 3x bigger than theirs and that the bottom budget is 4x lower.

I think this information is received twice a season.

iscalad

Apparently the EFL tell all the clubs everyone else's place on the budget ladder.

sign of the chimes

Apparently the EFL tell all the clubs everyone else's place on the budget ladder.
I don't think the clubs find out who is placed elsewhere (though I suspect in many cases they're able to guess!)