• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

ExmouthMart

It doesn’t matter how anyone dresses it up, it’s all about the results. Results have improved and we are no longer certs for relegation ( but being Exeter City we might yet find a way to mess it up!) so there is no longer a need for a change of Manager. The problem is still there that we come across as a Club that doesn’t sack the Manager and give them the time and backing to get it right no matter how long that takes. The farce of who votes to sack to Manager, can we afford it and who actually does it hasn’t gone away. The ‘we do things differently’ makes us in some respects a soft touch with the tail wagging the dog. Our friends down the road decided to act after backing the Manager but ultimately decided a change was necessary. To me it sharpens your focus when it’s your own money involved and not managing the money on other people’s behalf. I like Caldwell but if we continue to struggle to score and keeping dodging a bullet in the League then there comes a time when it’s impossible not to change the Manager. Are those that run the Club on our behalf capable of that or inclined to make that decision?! I’m not sure……

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've enjoyed this thread.

Despite the spats between some of the 'in' camp and some in the 'out' there have been a lot of good reasons given for either choice.

My take back in November was
"a good holding result this season would be to get 10 points ahead of the bottom four and, at least, sustain that" and I'm glad that's been achieved..

But it wasn't a prediction as such - more of a quantifier.
Agree, it's a great thread - probably my favourite one currently.

CC

Agree, it's a great thread - probably my favourite one currently.
Favourite current thread? Sounds like a poll is needed…

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
There is no denying that City have improved considerably since Xmas and that we are now all but safe. The manager deserves much of the credit for that.

There's also no denying that we are still at best a lower half of league 1 team, are likely to remain that unless we sign at least two good attacking players, and generally pay unattractive, ponderous football. Only three L1 teams have scored fewer goals than us.

That said, Caldwell's job is now clearly secure for the foreseeable. Time to move on.

But IMO the question of whether he is the right person for the job remains unanswered.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Favourite current thread? Sounds like a poll is needed…
I'm firmly in the no poll camp myself

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
It doesn’t matter how anyone dresses it up, it’s all about the results. Results have improved and we are no longer certs for relegation ( but being Exeter City we might yet find a way to mess it up!) so there is no longer a need for a change of Manager. The problem is still there that we come across as a Club that doesn’t sack the Manager and give them the time and backing to get it right no matter how long that takes. The farce of who votes to sack to Manager, can we afford it and who actually does it hasn’t gone away. The ‘we do things differently’ makes us in some respects a soft touch with the tail wagging the dog. Our friends down the road decided to act after backing the Manager but ultimately decided a change was necessary. To me it sharpens your focus when it’s your own money involved and not managing the money on other people’s behalf. I like Caldwell but if we continue to struggle to score and keeping dodging a bullet in the League then there comes a time when it’s impossible not to change the Manager. Are those that run the Club on our behalf capable of that or inclined to make that decision?! I’m not sure……
you have contradicted yourself to the point where it's very unclear what your point is? You seemed happy that we made the decision to stick with the manager as we are now safe from relegation yet seemingly disappointed that we didn't sack the manager like Argyle did!!!! Which is it?

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
There is no denying that City have improved considerably since Xmas and that we are now all but safe. The manager deserves much of the credit for that.

There's also no denying that we are still at best a lower half of league 1 team, are likely to remain that unless we sign at least two good attacking players, and generally pay unattractive, ponderous football. Only three L1 teams have scored fewer goals than us.

That said, Caldwell's job is now clearly secure for the foreseeable. Time to move on.

But IMO the question of whether he is the right person for the job remains unanswered.
Is your last line even answerable?

ExmouthMart

you have contradicted yourself to the point where it's very unclear what your point is? You seemed happy that we made the decision to stick with the manager as we are now safe from relegation yet seemingly disappointed that we didn't sack the manager like Argyle did!!!! Which is it?
My point is what happens if we have to sack the Manager because when it looked like we might have to no one had the stomach for it or seemed to know how they would go about it. Mutual back slapping by the board(s) now because their patience has been vindicated by some positive results but the problems not gone away, it never will in football.

suffolklad

Seriously, why do you bother posting? All it does is confirm even more just how thick you are and how little you understand now and understood previously what the arguments were for wanting Caldwell gone. But that was then, this is now, it seems the only ones now who can’t let it go are the clappers and free hitters. Most have moved on, perhaps you and your brigade ought to to try to as well.
Clearly your venomous replies to me and others show that you have not let it go. As it happens I clearly understand and did previously.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
We will likely have better but also a lot worse in the future

I'm not totally convinced by the "exceptional manager" soundbite that the members of the board like to use but he's doing well, probably about what I expected when he joined (and better than I envisaged in December)

He'd obviously become a lot more popular if he overachieves next season; 15th is about right us in this division IMO

EDIT it is by gates at least:
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 16.43.03.png