• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Buying A Used Van

edindevon

We are toying with the though of buying a used van to convert in to a camper. At the moment I'm leaning towards the idea of a reassuringly expensive medium or long wheel based high top Mercedes Sprinter, which people tell me have bomb proof engines and never break down. However, I don't really don't know much about vans at all, anyone have any thoughts about the pros and cons of Ivecos, Fiats, Fords, LDVs, VWs, etc? Budget about £5K, which might limit my options a bit.

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
VWs rarely lose much of their value, this is an advantage.

Do you specifically want to convert the van as a project or get one that's already been done? From what I hear though it would be best to avoid LDVs, they aren't the most reliable of van.

What about this little baby?

Only £400 so plenty to spend in getting her tip top. Whack in a new motor, sort out the rust, full respray and bung on some blinging rims. With £5k to chuck at her I'm pretty sure you could have a demon of a camper van and some change left over to spend on a holiday.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1987-Bedford-Bambi-camper-project-/250692221669?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=*tem3a5e6bbae5

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
VWs rarely lose much of their value, this is an advantage.

Do you specifically want to convert the van as a project or get one that's already been done? From what I hear though it would be best to avoid LDVs, they aren't the most reliable of van.

What about this little baby?

Only £400 so plenty to spend in getting her tip top. Whack in a new motor, sort out the rust, full respray and bung on some blinging rims. With £5k to chuck at her I'm pretty sure you could have a demon of a camper van and some change left over to spend on a holiday.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1987-Bedford-Bambi-camper-project-/250692221669?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=*tem3a5e6bbae5
He probably wanted something Poults could fit into.

Last edited:

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
He probably wanted something Poults could fit into.
Like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Race-Truck-Transporter-Motorhome-Car-Bike-Motor-x-Kart-/370427990736?pt=UK_Commercial_Trucks&hash=*tem563f3a92d0

It's a tad over budget, reckon you'd be better off with the Bambi and leaving Poults at home (he'd probably prefer that too, he doesn't strike me as the type of bloke who wants to go camping, he's got far too much sense for that)

Last edited:

Grecian_Jay

Like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Race-Truck-Transporter-Motorhome-Car-Bike-Motor-x-Kart-/370427990736?pt=UK_Commercial_Trucks&hash=*tem563f3a92d0

It's a tad over budget, reckon you'd be better off with the Bambi and leaving Poults at home (he'd probably prefer that too, he doesn't strike me as the type of bloke who wants to go camping, he's got far too much sense for that)
Might be a squeeze but that's better.

wemissmoxey

Cheesedale could be worth a call, he probably knows a thing or two about old vans.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
i don't think you can beat a 1960 VW Camper, may be a bit more than 5k though!

edindevon

Not sure that the Bambi is really doing it for me, Jan. Can it possible to actually lie down in there? I'm happy to buy someone else's conversion, rather than do it myself, but I'd steer clear of the factory made conversions which seem to inexplicably add £10k to the price tag.

What I'd really, really like is one of these:

http://www.ki7xh.com/camper.htm

Sadly, the lack of funds, the max speed (55mph), the fuel consumption (about 6 miles per gallon) and numerous other practicalities mean it is unlikely that I will become the proud owner of a Unimog any time soon. They're still great though.

elginCity

anyone have any thoughts about the pros and cons of Ivecos, Fiats, Fords, LDVs, VWs, etc?.
If you don't know much about vans and you're thinking of the hassle of a conversion job, why not consider going over to Deutchsland and picking up a bargain VW camper?

IIRC Because of the recent eco catalytic reqmts of city driving over there, you can pick up not so old vans for next to nothing. Go with a reputable dealer and he'll often handle the paperwork, insurance and export licence plate etc. Left-hand drive is useful for euro holidays, assuming you'll be doing that, and not a problem driving in the UK.

http://www.mobile.de/home/index.html?lang=en

grecIAN Harris

We are toying with the though of buying a used van to convert in to a camper. At the moment I'm leaning towards the idea of a reassuringly expensive medium or long wheel based high top Mercedes Sprinter, which people tell me have bomb proof engines and never break down. However, I don't really don't know much about vans at all, anyone have any thoughts about the pros and cons of Ivecos, Fiats, Fords, LDVs, VWs, etc? Budget about £5K, which might limit my options a bit.
Mercs go like sh!t off a shovel but the type that you'll be able to afford with that sort of money are as light as a feather and the merest breath of fresh air will put you across three lanes of the motorway before you have chance to blink. The positive side for your project on that is that they're so light because the back end is not very thick and could be opened with a tin opener.
Trannys are trannys. Solid, reliable. Ford wouldn't keep making them for over 40 years if they weren't much cop. We used to have Iveco's at work. They're pretty much like the Trannys without the pedigree. We also used to have LDV's at work. Whatever you do, don't get one of these. They are bloody awful. They've got the turning circle of an ocean going tug, the heater stays jammed on hot regardless and the engines are sh*te. VW's are Mercs with a VW badge and a different set of headlights. Past that I wouldn't trust much. My experience of Peugeot van's isn't particularly endearing and (if I've got it the right way) Citroens and Peugeot are based on the same base design and I've seen the state of the Fiat's our owner drivers have got a work, not very impressive.