• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Billy Jones.....

DJH2005

I was never a fan of his original days with us, and thought Tis and SP did a great bit of business getting the wedge we did from Crewe, however, you've gotta give give the man time to settle in and adjust again. Judge him 10 games in or so, not yet, cut him some slack.

Bittners a Legend

Step aside from the mass prejudice that most posters on this thread have displayed and Billy Jones actually played quite well today after a shaky opening 20 minutes.

He is utterly exposed by Golbourne who is clearly a talented attacking full back but seriously lacking the ability to tackle or stop crosses coming in. Billy's communication and reading of the game was a lot better today. His distribution is still not brilliant but is at least improving.

I don't think he is the answer and I doubt he will start at CB when Duffy, Taylor and Troy are all fit but don't be surprised to see him at LWB. On the whole he was much improved today - a positive performance and probably sneaks a 7.

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well now it seems we have heard from most of his family.

Whether he gets exposed by Goldy is neither here nor there, everything he did agin Orient, with the exception of one header under no pressure, was inadequate, he was ordinary in the Conference, the money was an absolute steal which only went to show how little so many so called football "professionals" actually know, in this league he is totally exposed as lacking in much of a clue.

Simples.

IndoMike

Well now it seems we have heard from most of his family.

Whether he gets exposed by Goldy is neither here nor there, everything he did agin Orient, with the exception of one header under no pressure, was inadequate, he was ordinary in the Conference, the money was an absolute steal which only went to show how little so many so called football "professionals" actually know, in this league he is totally exposed as lacking in much of a clue.

Simples.
I could be wrong (but seldom am), but I think he was hired for left wing back reserve, not central defender first team. I think Tis was hoping Friend would come back. I'm sure he's doing his best, but at the mo it's not enough. It's not impossible that he will do better left side and with a bit more time (...from his grandad)

Last edited:

LOG

He played CB on a number of occasions when we were in the conference and looked perfectly comfortable, but i guess that this was a few years and a couple of leagues ago.

Doesn't appear to be the answer now but will be the one dropped when Taylor is back i would have thought.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
As soon as the news broke of him coming back, and before he'd even kicked a ball, some posters here, and I include myself amongst them, thought it was a wrong move and said so. Tis got this one wrong, BJ might have the odd reasonable game but mostly he's gonna be our weakest link.

ecfctis

As soon as the news broke of him coming back, and before he'd even kicked a ball, some posters here, and I include myself amongst them, thought it was a wrong move and said so. Tis got this one wrong, BJ might have the odd reasonable game but mostly he's gonna be our weakest link.
Totally Agree!

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
whether tis got this one wrong or not is it really useful to try and abuse the bloke at every opportunity, billy and golbourne are looking the weak link in our team at the moment but they are our players so when they are on the pitch everyone should be getting behind them. it's ok to a point to pick up on mistakes made but have to be careful not to cross the line and destroying players confidence.

We kept a clean sheet yesterday and have now won two on the spin with both in the team so they can't be that bad. I'm sure when Taylor is fit Billy will be competing with golbourne and heath for left wing back.

berniesworld

Please don't let him take penalties....................

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was told quite clearly at Orient that Billy Jones is a quality player and we need him for his set piece play and that he's just finding his feet at the minute.

From what I've seen so far there is nothing in his play that makes me think that Billy has developed at all since he was in the conference with us. His passing his a long way from how I remember it, often far too strong, he seemingly never got the memo that you don't give Jonah awkward back passes (to be fair I think that he's realising this now) and Ryan Harley won't let him near a set piece. I am a long way from convinced that BJ is adequate for us in that position. I'm also concerned that he seems to often be about a yard out of whack with the other 2 central defenders, meaning that he plays people onside. Billy has more pace than either Taylor or Edwards so it's important that he doesn't leave them with an extra yard to make up if the opposition break through.

Golbourne also looks a bit off, he finished last season in much better form than he's started this. He certainly isn't the reason for our defensive frailties though, that stems from a general lack of co-ordination between all the lads at the back. At the minute though Golbourne is pretty much the only player we have who suits that position and I think that we'd be better off as a team playing Duffy in place of BJ, Tully in place of Duffy and bringing Thomo into the RWB position. That may or may not work but I reckon it's worth a crack.