• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ben Hamer

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'd hope we could get him in on a permanent. Wouldn't be a massive surprise, I think we could be a good fit for a season or two.

I like him, miles better than Jones.

I agree , would love him to be with us next season.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
According to skysports.com a number of Championship clubs , e.g. Millwall, Hull and Swansea are keeping an eye on him. True, or is it his agent talking?
I like Hamer and agree he's the best keeper we've had in years. Not quite top drawer yet, though. I suspect he has a choice - be on the bench for more money at a Championship (or more wealthy L1) club or first choice for City or someone else like us.

Depends on what he wants, personal circumstances etc. Some players are not that money-driven and like being a bigger fish in a smaller pond. He's also young for a keeper and a couple of seasons as #1 for ECFC may be his best long term strategy, prove himself and then move on to a top club.

It'll be a difficult choice for him - if indeed these are the options.

Poultice

He's also young for a keeper and a couple of seasons as #1 for ECFC may be his best long term strategy, prove himself and then move on to a top club.
Cos that worked real well for Jonesy ?

wemissmoxey

Hamer looks decent enough when we defend properly, when we don't he looks like what he is - dodgy.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cos that worked real well for Jonesy ?
Hamer isn't Jones. Every player is different.

shabbashaz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Apparently he has another year at Reading left, if this is the case, I hope we can get him on a season long loan, next year.

Poultice

Hamer isn't Jones. Every player is different.
No doubt, I am simply wondering what evidence you have seen to suggest that spending time under the GK coaching regime at ECFC is beneficial to young keepers ? Bittner, Rice and Jones would seem to suggest that steering clear of said regime would probably be best for your development.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
No doubt, I am simply wondering what evidence you have seen to suggest that spending time under the GK coaching regime at ECFC is beneficial to young keepers ? Bittner, Rice and Jones would seem to suggest that steering clear of said regime would probably be best for your development.
Cruel but fair?

Perhaps; I don't know whether Jones's seeming inability to improve his kicking or to communication with his defence springs from our poor coaching. He certainly seemed to improve as a shot-stopper while with us, but never appeared to learn that there's more to goalkeeping than making saves (I always take the view that having to make a lot of saves in a game comes from a collective failure of the defensive unit).

But I suspect Hamer is a pretty strong and forceful personality, from what we've seen. Just needs 50 or 100 league games to prove himself. Certainly Troy and Taylor seem to trust him.

Anyway, If you throw enough darts at the board, one of them will go in the bullseye eventually.

ZMB

So who was it who said that Hamer shouts at the defence and looks like an idiot? Troy seems to think it helps so maybe he isn't such an idiot after all eh?

He has kept a few clean sheets and has done very well so far.

His ability to accept the ball being passed back is a big step forward. Would rather have Hamer in goal than Jones who seemed a bag of nerves any time he was asked to kick a ball or receive a pass.

Hamer to stay but I cant see it being likely.

GrecianWonder

Bittner, Rice and Jones would seem to suggest that steering clear of said regime would probably be best for your development.
so bittner and rice have really improved since they left....

and jones didnt improve from the young raw lad that played at old trafford has he??

or did he actually improve his shot stopping and his kicking??