• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ballboys

Stelios

Poor behaviour. Someone at the club no doubt thinks they're being smart/clever. Sad. Not only poor for the game but a crap example to show to kids.

Do clubs have to have ball fetchers? Or is it just something that everyone does out of habit?

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Poor behaviour. Someone at the club no doubt thinks they're being smart/clever. Sad. Not only poor for the game but a crap example to show to kids.

Do clubs have to have ball fetchers? Or is it just something that everyone does out of habit?
Yep,just another form or gamesmanship..Loved the example at Swansea a few seasons back.The ‘ballboy’ who was a overweight 20 year old chav,refused to quickly give the ball back & was booted by a Chelsea player to release it..Poetic Justice initially,but unfortunately classed as violent conduct & the player was red carded.

Don’t really see the point of them really..The players could easily fetch the ball.

Stelios

Yep,just another form or gamesmanship..Loved the example at Swansea a few seasons back.The ‘ballboy’ who was a overweight 20 year old chav,refused to quickly give the ball back & was booted by a Chelsea player to release it..Poetic Justice initially,but unfortunately classed as violent conduct & the player was red carded.

Don’t really see the point of them really..The players could easily fetch the ball.
Haha yes was thinking about that when reading this thread. Always wished the Chelsea player booted him harder. Of course, it's the ***** who then becomes the martyr and gets his 5 minutes of fame.

Last edited:

iscalad

I don't think they get paid for THAT! Or are too pampered these days!

arthur

I did write to Rovers and let them know - a nice reply:

i have been passed your letter by the club as i look after the ballboys .Unfortunatly i was not at tuesday nights game due to a prior engagement so shall be finding out from those looking after them on the night what went on and can assure you those involved will be disciplined .The ballboys are run by the Young Pirates part of the club they are not part of the clubs Accademy or Development Squad they are just ordinary kids being given an opportunity but as you rightly say they should take pride in what they do .Also the players especially goalkeepers do tell them to slow the game down or speed up as the game dictates and although they are told not to be impartial i hope you will agree it can be difficult for a youngster when put in that position .i am sorry you felt the need to complain but hope my response goes some way to apologising for your experience and wish you and your team all the best for the season regards David Tuck Bristol Rovers Ballboys

He wishes us all the best (I described myself as a neutral, but never mind) and there's probably a typo near the "impartial" bit, but it's good to hear that this is not supposed to be the norm at the Mem....

Oldsmobile-88

I witnessed a daft moment for a ballboy at Mansfield,the lad quickly ran to get the ball,but was told not to by a Mansfield player & Sweeney had to retrieve the ball himself,you could see the lad felt awkward about it.Shame on the Mansfield player for putting him in that situation...The ******** player was hurrying the ball boys up when they went 0-2 down..:D :D

PeteUSA

That said; Christy Pym is probably the worlds worst at recovering the ball for a goal-kick, It is quite noticeable, but generally only when we're winning. I dont blame him, I think its a tactic encouraged by "someone at the club". I dont necessarily disagree, under winning circumstances.

Antony Moxey

Yep, Eden Hazard. The ball boy fell on the ball and curled up over it preventing Chelsea taking a corner quickly. Hazard ran over and tried to boot the ball from under him, succeeding only in clumping the twerp in the ribs as well as making him cling on to the ball even tighter. Not sure he ball boyed again after that.

Stelios

I did write to Rovers and let them know - a nice reply:

He wishes us all the best (I described myself as a neutral, but never mind) and there's probably a typo near the "impartial" bit, but it's good to hear that this is not supposed to be the norm at the Mem....
Nice of them to reply. The kids probably just do what the players tell them to be fair. If I was ballboy growing up and Noel Blake told me to slow down, I'd slow down.

Colesman Ballz

Who were we playing when one of ours threw the ball at the player on the Doble side a few years ago , Possibly Blackpool ?

Found that amusing.
There was also the case when one of ours, baited Reuben Reid (then of Argyle) in front of the Big Bank, but as I recall Reuben laughed it off.