• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bad news

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Of course I don't know that for a fact, but Tisdale was behaving weasle-like recently. He could have manipulated the situation. "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"
But, but... Maybe Tisdale, Perryman, whoever organized this contract, but surely it goes up the chain before it gets rubber-stamped. Who rubber stamps Tisdale's contract? I doubt very much whether Tisdale has autonomy on this. What's the process? Unbelievable this.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is this such bad news?

From what we read, another large wage of the payroll. We have got money from Jordan Storey, as well as what is in the bank. Surely we can go around looking at the fringe premier****e/championship players that have been released, to see what's available in the knowledge that we can offer them first team opportunities for a couple of years and hopefully develop them and then make some more out of them when they move on. Similar to Brentford!

Mix that up with developing our own and I give you the Exeter City soccer factory. (As long as some plonker does not bring in a clause about if we fail to get promotion then you can move on for nought).

Bittners a Legend

I wouldn't have thought he'd be in a position to. If we've got a disgruntled employee, who's clearly about to leave for a rival, with control of this stuff, then that's a big problem.
I think you're being naive. This epitomises everything that was wrong about the control Tisdale had at City.

On the positive side, unlike most, I think JMT is too slow, pedestrian on the ball and given the foot injuries he has suffered in recent years must be susceptible to more injuries in the future. It is hard to take seriously that he would want a contract that allowed him to leave if we weren't in League One, yet has joined another team in the same league. Strange that the contract itself wouldn't prohibit him moving to a team in the same league and strange we would pay an agent £4k to negotiate such a contract.

As has been said, Matt Taylor will have plenty of room for manouvre now and can hopefully shape a team based on his own ideas. Will Harley be next off?

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
But, but... Maybe Tisdale, Perryman, whoever organized this contract, but surely it goes up the chain before it gets rubber-stamped. Who rubber stamps Tisdale's contract? I doubt very much whether Tisdale has autonomy on this. What's the process? Unbelievable this.
"Just sign here please Jules."

"Of course Paul, Shoeshine?"

Spoonz Red E

I may be completely barking up the wrong tree but the way Tisdale set us up at Wembley , 1 up front.. starting with woodman, James for boetang (which still leaves me baffled now!) Was the mk dons thing and now jmt going there a done deal? And he set us up to lose
All very fishy and if he did he can reimburse 12,000 fans the cost of the day!
I think you are. With this theory Tisdale could have just thrown in the towel away at Lincoln, finished the season earlier and have more time to bed in at MK Dons.
Better still - not even make the playoffs.

We can only agree a contract with a player if that player accepts the contract offered.
JMT signed his contract, with that clause, to keep him here after seeing us fall at the last hurdle the season before and hoping for promotion this time.

A lot of people have said correctly that "Tis wasn't sacked, he chose to go"
JMT also chose to go.

Tis has taken advantage because he can and obviously has a good relationship with JMT.

Hugely disappointed with it all.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is this such bad news?

From what we read, another large wage of the payroll. We have got money from Jordan Storey, as well as what is in the bank. Surely we can go around looking at the fringe premier****e/championship players that have been released, to see what's available in the knowledge that we can offer them first team opportunities for a couple of years and hopefully develop them and then make some more out of them when they move on. Similar to Brentford!

Mix that up with developing our own and I give you the Exeter City soccer factory. (As long as some plonker does not bring in a clause about if we fail to get promotion then you can move on for nought).
Yes, yes it is. JMT is a quality player, relative to our level. Of course signing a load of great players on the cheap, getting promoted and selling them as we go is a great idea, but that's what everyone's strategy is... its not so easy. Premiership club's youth systems are not exactly a secret cave where there's loads of gold that only we know about.

andrew p long

Sure... but how has this been allowed to happen? Where does the buck stop? Who messed up? I don't want a lynching, but someone should be taking ownership of this being allowed to happen, an apology for poor oversight or some kind of defence for making the decision. A recognition that it's not a great idea, for many reasons, to give the football management so much autonomy. I'm not happy with the "its just one of those things, nothing we could've done" line... Fine, if he's out of contract... but who rubber-stamped this clause?

But the options were

A) a new contract allowing him to leave for free if we aren’t promoted but committing him to us,entitling us to a fee if we reach league one

B) no new contract, in which event he could leave for nothing now whether we were promoted or not

The contract didn’t either improve or worsen our position if we didn’t go up, but would have considerably strengthened our hand if we had gone up.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think you are. With this theory Tisdale could have just thrown in the towel away at Lincoln, finished the season earlier and have more time to bed in at MK Dons.
Better still - not even make the playoffs.

We can only agree a contract with a player if that player accepts the contract offered.
JMT signed his contract, with that clause, to keep him here after seeing us fall at the last hurdle the season before and hoping for promotion this time.

A lot of people have said correctly that "Tis wasn't sacked, he chose to go"
JMT also chose to go.

Tis has taken advantage because he can and obviously has a good relationship with JMT.

Hugely disappointed with it all.
I'd be disappointed if JMT ran his contract down and then left, but it would have been expected (in fact, that's what I assumed was happening). This getting a bumper contract with an absurd release clause thing is a different matter. Who thought it was a good idea to pay our hard earned money to tie a player to us ONLY IF WE GO UP?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, yes it is. JMT is a quality player, relative to our level. Of course signing a load of great players on the cheap, getting promoted and selling them as we go is a great idea, but that's what everyone's strategy is... its not so easy. Premiership club's youth systems are not exactly a secret cave where there's loads of gold that only we know about.
No I am not saying that, but we can afford to compete and help them evolve and at the same time make some money whereas in the past we haven't been able to even get to the starting gate.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
But the options were

A) a new contract allowing him to leave for free if we aren’t promoted but committing him to us,entitling us to a fee if we reach league one

B) no new contract, in which event he could leave for nothing now whether we were promoted or not

The contract didn’t either improve or worsen our position if we didn’t go up, but would have considerably strengthened our hand if we had gone up.
That's assuming the contract was for the same monthly wage. Which, without having seen the books, I'm confident in telling you it definitely wasn't.