• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Any whispers or rumours ?

jase 07

Doesn't say much though. Scott is a million pound player.
I didn’t say I thought it said much, I just said I remember him saying it.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I cant ever remember that being said?

Well-known Exeweb poster
Presumably, if the experience was considered to be beneficial for someone from the youth team, they would be on the bench.
I really can't see any train of logic to back that/your argument up.. young footballers join us because we've got a proven route to first team football and many have trodden the route and gone on to greater things .diminish or take that route away and your taking away or damaging imo, the very essence of our football club.. sitting on the bench for a 17 year old would be immense, ego boosting, a positive in every sense ..just can't see the down side...a stupid wasted opportunity.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I really can't see any train of logic to back that/your argument up.. young footballers join us because we've got a proven route to first team football and many have trodden the route and gone on to greater things .diminish or take that route away and your taking away or damaging imo, the very essence of our football club.. sitting on the bench for a 17 year old would be immense, ego boosting, a positive in every sense ..just can't see the down side...a stupid wasted opportunity.
But shouldn't players not generally EARN a place on the bench, when they're ready to be trusted with minutes on the pitch? If it's given cheaply, does it not lose value? Can the amazing ego boosting experience also be detrimental if given too early, too cheaply? I don't know on individual cases, but it seems plausible to me that if there isn't someone straining at the leish, then it's not helpful for anyone's development to give them a go on the bench as a tourist.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
But shouldn't players not generally EARN a place on the bench, when they're ready to be trusted with minutes on the pitch? If it's given cheaply, does it not lose value? Can the amazing ego boosting experience also be detrimental if given too early, too cheaply? I don't know on individual cases, but it seems plausible to me that if there isn't someone straining at the leish, then it's not helpful for anyone's development to give them a go on the bench as a tourist.
Its not just sitting on the bench though is it? Its warming up with the first team in front of a big crowd, having your name called out, warming up properly on the touchline.
Added to that, the possibility that they might get a debut. Lets just say we were 3-0 up or down going into injury time, whats the harm in bringing the lad on.
We have a history of playing very young lads - Ampadu, Chrishene, Richards. It was a surprise when all of them made a debut, look at them now (well two of them).
I'm sure they are progressing at the Cliff Hill, but they are playing in front of no one, and just having a sniff of what could be like would only motivate them shirley?

Reactions: 007

Melvis

Obviously not because it would have already been posted.
Brilliant.

Memphis09

3 year contracts are good if the player is good, but if you go giving out 3 year contracts to the likes of James Scott that's a big problem in itself.

Often players don't want to sign a 3 year deal with us. Players as good as Mitchell just want a shorter deal to show what they can do and move on quickly.
I would not give Scott a three day contract let alone three years

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Its not just sitting on the bench though is it? Its warming up with the first team in front of a big crowd, having your name called out, warming up properly on the touchline.
Added to that, the possibility that they might get a debut. Lets just say we were 3-0 up or down going into injury time, whats the harm in bringing the lad on.
We have a history of playing very young lads - Ampadu, Chrishene, Richards. It was a surprise when all of them made a debut, look at them now (well two of them).
I'm sure they are progressing at the Cliff Hill, but they are playing in front of no one, and just having a sniff of what could be like would only motivate them shirley?
Yes, I know, but that's not the point. Earn that. I think it's more likely Ampadu got an early sniff of the subs bench AND played in the world cup because he's really really good, rather than he played in the world cup because he sat on our bench at 15. Seems a bizarre cause and effect logic to think otherwise.

We've given Jake Richards and Alfie Cunningham a taste of it. I'm not sure it's universally beneficial to just get people there regardless of whether they've earnt it. Is there someone else pulling up trees that much?

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
So assuming then that no one has heard any ‘real’ incoming transfer rumours by the fact that this thread is dominated by Harry Kite possibly heading to Rovers and who should be on our bench!

Ian webber

Yeah a bit boring I thought we might have heard a few names incoming by now but i guess its early