• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Another Part time suit.....

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
It isn't great but it does say 2 days based on one matchday and one non matchday. It doesn't say pro rata so am guessing he gets paid throughout the close season and if a game gets cancelled.

Gary, for clarity, could you advise what you used to do and how that dovetailed with Jim?
Jim was matchday & steward management, looking at H&S from that side, for my sins I put together an asset management system that relied on inspection and a mechanism for corrective actions for the Old Grandstand, primarily, focusing on issues raised by the structural engineer engaged by the football club and inspections by the Devon County Council licensing team. One such example was the Cladding to the OG, it has needed replacement for a number of years, so rather than go to that expense, I used to inspect and get the odd loose bit replaced that might have have caused injury if left in-situ. So I implemented the management of the asset rather than replacement, if you know what I mean. I assume this is still going on, I have not been asked to do this since Frances left. I sincerely hope that those looking to employ (the "Competent Person"?) are fully aware of their responsibilities.

I only met Jim in a "professional" capacity at the twice yearly Health and Safety meeting DCC used to chair, as both the structural safety of the ground and matchday management were both high up on the agenda when the safety certificate is issued.

H&S is a peculiar beast, it is easily ignored, deferring costs etc and things might appear "business as usual" from the outside. With hindsight many of the problems at Hillsborough were seemingly minor until there is a coming together of lots of little issues in an improbable event, the rest is history. I reiterate that the feedback from the inquest provides harrowing reading, but this is typical of a "coming together" of several improbable events (not just one thing!) that caused this disaster.

I am sure that a disaster at Exeter City is unlikely, especially at that scale, but any specific hazard has to be identified by risk management and measures put in place to mitigate that risk. By removing ALL of these minor hazards there won't be a coming together, simple as. Please don't take this the wrong way, I am not saying that a disaster is about to happen at ECFC and I know that much has been done to manage the risks (otherwise DCC wouldn't issue a certificate), but all I am trying to do is to point out what sort of responsibilities fall upon the Club's Competent Person.

Whether such skills can be bought for minimum wage remains to be seen.

123tyrone

As another P45er, I dont know where I stand at the club and I can see Jim's departure as something that will haunt city

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
As another P45er, I dont know where I stand at the club and I can see Jim's departure as something that will haunt city
Having known Jim during my time at City, one thing that was obvious was he knew exactly what was needed and what had to be done. Can't see them getting anyone who is anywhere near as good as Jim.

Incidentally, did he leave or was he pushed?

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Incidentally, did he leave or was he pushed?
Good Bloke Jim
Maybe it will become clearer when an appointment is made - Watch This Space :x