• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Another new signing?

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wonder whether the people who "like Wheeler because he's not afraid to speak his mind" would say the same thing if he expressed right-wing views?

I doubt it. Which means you're basically saying "I like this bloke because he agrees with me."

I think footballers should stick to football and stay away from politics as far as possible. Witness Gary Lineker's shameful, scare-mongering and completely fabricated tweets about the effects of Brexit on the NHS last week. Genuinely embarrassing to see someone with such influence talk out of their arse so hopelessly. He's deleted the tweet now but the official NHS response remains: https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk/status/1081182000986406912

Just because a footballer has a degree, doesn't mean his views are any more important than anyone else's. If anything, earning thousands of pounds per week make pro footballers more out of touch with ordinary, working people than 99.9% of people we could be listening to.

Either we worship all footballers who express political views, or none. Picking and choosing the ones who agree with us is just pure, childish tribalism. And there's enough of that to go around already in modern politics.
You talk as if its some kind of hypocrisy to like people more for passionately expressing views that you agree with. I'm not sure I see why that's the case. Footballers are no exception. If there's someone banging on about something and you disagree, you tend not to like them much. What's special about being a footballer? Nothing.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Is this 2 days without a signing? :p

budegrecian

I notice we haven't signed the guy from Blackburn, Willem Tomlinson, who was training with us before Christmas. Can we assume that MT decided he wasn't what we needed?

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I notice we haven't signed the guy from Blackburn, Willem Tomlinson, who was training with us before Christmas. Can we assume that MT decided he wasn't what we needed?
Who knows. Perhaps he’s had a number of offers and we’re waiting for an answer.

You’d imagine he’d be keen to sign here if he came down on trial but other clubs may have gotten wind he’s available.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Who knows. Perhaps he’s had a number of offers and we’re waiting for an answer.

You’d imagine he’d be keen to sign here if he came down on trial but other clubs may have gotten wind he’s available.
Or it was decided that following the trial he wasn't good enough.

TotnesGrecian

Is this 2 days without a signing? :p
I created this, as City tweeted saying there was going to be a signing, which there was, Archie Collins new contract....