• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Anfield

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
I went and had a great day out. I've been to too many away days to let 90 minutes of football spoil the day (which it invariably tries to do), I don't understand those who think they 'dodged a bullet' by not being able to go. People weren't genuinely expecting anything up there were they?

bootesful

My tup'peth worth. Like most speculation, this may be fantastical nonsense, but I'm trying to think of reasons the second-longest-running manager with sensitivity and intelligence would have picked a 36 yr old journeyman against a bunch of very fast, keen-to-impress players in their early-twenties. Pretty sure any fan with a passing familiarity with our squad wouldn't have started with CM, unless every other player in his position was crocked. Tis made other selection errors, but CM stands out for the sheer jaw-dropping moment when seeing him on the pitch.

I think Klopp acted like a fool at SJP. What came to mind was Mourinho's comments about his first FA Cup game. In Portugal, Spain, Germany, etc., the lower league clubs treat it like a "Thanks for the exhibition match and gate money" event. Mourinho's Chelsea team were beaten and it took him massively aback, but his reflection was "This country is different". Roll on to Klopp's first game and from his "Expecting an exhibition match" view, he treats speculation about us winning as a personal attack on him "They think I can't pick a team four divisions below, my reserves can do that!" As well as "Hah, I'm here to win the PL, not this tin-pot competition. Make me play away in January on a Friday, I won't even give them the exhibition match".

Undisputed is that Klopp was fantastically ungraceful post-match at SJP, he whined about it being a Friday night, he whined about the pitch (several times), he even whined about doing the damn interview. Even before the game, Tisdale gave him a gift (traditional, or just "our way", I don't know) and Klopp laughed at receiving it. There was a definite element of disrespect from the Liverpool management team strung all the way through the first game.

Roll forward to Anfield. Tisdale picks significant players who would form HIS B team. He convinces himself as we're not going to win, ignoring the magnificent first half at Sunderland and Defoe's contribution to our defeat, whose goals single-handedly kept Sunderland in the top flight. If we've not won on our best chance at SJP, then, Tis thinks, he can put out who he likes as a sort of two-fingers to Klopp. "Look, two can play at this game". The rest is history.

Like I said, probably nonsense, but short of "playing his mates" (are CM and him mates?), struggling to make sense of it. And yes, #stillfuming is correct.

bootesful

People weren't genuinely expecting anything up there were they?
Two games at PL grounds last season. We looked like we could have got a result at Sunderland, right up until Bobby's error w.r.t. the speed of the striker bearing down as he tried to collect rather than clear the ball. The first half was a truly joyous 45 mins of football. Anfield, we'd given up any chance before we kicked a ball. That's what still hurts now.

Thames Valley Red

Playing the Liverpool kids with a balanced team and the right spirit anything is possible. Manchester United away should show every City fan what could have been achieved. Had we drawn and won on penalties things could have been different. Talking to other teams fans we blew our chance.

A static caravan up front was never going to work.

Water under the bridge, we lost not good the manner of the selection.

UTC

TVR

iscalad

I went and had a great day out. I've been to too many away days to let 90 minutes of football spoil the day (which it invariably tries to do), I don't understand those who think they 'dodged a bullet' by not being able to go. People weren't genuinely expecting anything up there were they?
I expected a more comfortable seat. Worse than Brentford.

oxford don

Tom would still be here now if Tis hadn't dicked him about at Anfield...and I know that for a fact !

What have we got for him ?...next to nothing now !

What price Tis's arrogance ? Probably promotion.

The Blokes an idiot.. Period.!

Last edited:

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
It wasn't a massive shock that we lost the replay, that was always possible. Noble being injured was a big loss and unfortunately we couldn't do anything about that, however we could have been courageous and played a younger fitter side and committed ourselves better even if the margin or defeat had eventually been the same. One or two with experience would have been sensible but there was no balance in that line up.

It was still an experience to play at anfield, but the pride I felt after the first game was no longer there. The view near the back wasn't the best, the atmosphere was crap with the allocated seats and Liverpool being scared of the red legion. Those tactics were Tisdale all over, which is such a shame after he had been deserving of praise for the performances at home to port vale and Liverpool.

Red Bill

Yes I was. I was expecting more or less the same team to play, i was expecting them to give everything they'd got and I was expecting us to get beaten heavily (although I've seen enough cup games over the last 50 years to know that anything's possible). Most of all I was expecting a night to remember, but I can't honestly say I got one. I'm still glad I went, I've never been to Anfield before so it was good to go to one of the most famous stadiums in the world and it was good to be part of a 6000 strong Grecian contingent, but like most other posters, my excitement, like the atmosphere, died when I walked into the stadium and heard the team.

Antony Moxey

Tom would still be here now if Tis hadn't dicked him about at Anfield...and I know that for a fact !

What have we got for him ?...next to nothing now !

What price Tis's arrogance ? Probably promotion.

The Blokes an idiot.. Period.!
I'd say, if what you say is true, is that Tom Nichols is the arrogant idiot. Wanting away because of ONE game? F*** off then if that's the case.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
It wasn't as bad as Barnet away!