• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

An existential crisis at our club

Alistair 2000 : I feel sure that we can both agree that the largest item of ECFC expenditure has to be Employment Costs .

On that basis alone I do not share your faith in Mr Mason.

For him to attend an AGM and say he did not know what the figure for the club's largest item is not credible ...if as you say Mr Mason is a force for efficiency and general good in controlling the club's finances ...is it?
I almost guarantee that there would have been a tactical meeting between Tagg, Moorish, Lee and Mason to work out the party line for the great unwashed - work out what minimal information they could get away with

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I almost guarantee that there would have been a tactical meeting between Tagg, Moorish, Lee and Mason to work out the party line for the great unwashed - work out what minimal information they could get away with
I have no doubt that the forces of cronyism and reaction at the Club had a line to peddle last week starting with the fodder dished out to dear old Lez and ending with the Project Fear statement from the HR brief.

However, Trust Members have never been provided as much detail on the accounts and finances since Keith Mason came on board and we were looking at figures as recent as 30 June 2016 the other day rather than stuff a year old as in the recent past and nothing at all until the Trust and Club were forced to provide information 4 years ago.

I know from a Trustee who understands finance and whom I respect immensely that Keith has improved the quality and timing of financial information flow to both the Trust and Club very considerably.

I have been as critical as anyone on the matter of Trust control of the Club and finances but on this issue criticism is IMO not appropriate.

If you have specific queries on the accounts then put them to Keith. If he does not provide reasonable answers I will join you in the criticism

Gordon Dale: please accept this post as a reply to yours to me.

STURTZ

Right , and all the talk won't change the fact we'll be non league next season.Then we'll really see whose interested.
I'll be there, I was last time we were non league. Ah yes but we had something then didn't we?

What was it? Ah yes, we had hope back then.

I have no doubt that the forces of cronyism and reaction at the Club had a line to peddle last week starting with the fodder dished out to dear old Lez and ending with the Project Fear statement from the HR brief.

However, Trust Members have never been provided as much detail on the accounts and finances since Keith Mason came on board and we were looking at figures as recent as 30 June 2016 the other day rather than stuff a year old as in the recent past and nothing at all until the Trust and Club were forced to provide information 4 years ago.

I know from a Trustee who understands finance and whom I respect immensely that Keith has improved the quality and timing of financial information flow to both the Trust and Club very considerably.

I have been as critical as anyone on the matter of Trust control of the Club and finances but on this issue criticism is IMO not appropriate.

If you have specific queries on the accounts then put them to Keith. If he does not provide reasonable answers I will join you in the criticism

Gordon Dale: please accept this post as a reply to yours to me.
I would entirely concur that Keith has improved the reporting way beyond what has gone before

BUT This was an extremely low bar to cross

It still probably doesn't meet any reasonable standard required by any other small businesss let alone by a Trust run enterprise and one that claims community status

STURTZ

I hate to buck the trend here and It takes no great brain to work out that rubbish product equals less customers, but I don't actually have too much problem believing the figures for yesterday, 3200-3500 would have been my guess. Admittedly I stand in the middle of the bank where the crowd is thickest but there looked to be a reasonable number in the Cowshed and OG. Despite only drawing against Grimsby it was a much better performance than we'd seen so far this season and on the back of last weeks 4-1 at Barnet, plus it was nice weather, its not inconceivable that attendance would hold up. But lets face it 3500 isn't great anyway is it!
I object to this, O.K. we're not all that clever but there's no need to draw attention to it.

Alistair20000

I would entirely concur that Keith has improved the reporting way beyond what has gone before

BUT This was an extremely low bar to cross

It still probably doesn't meet any reasonable standard required by any other small businesss let alone by a Trust run enterprise and one that claims community status
You refer to minimal information being supplied. What precisely do you want ? Have you sent the Trust an email to request it ?

You refer to minimal information being supplied. What precisely do you want ? Have you sent the Trust an email to request it ?
It's not too difficult is it?

1. The money paid to playing staff
2. The money paid to coaching staff including the manager and director of football
3. The money paid to non coaching staff who claim to have responsibility for football matters

= total cost of goods sold (I.e. The first team product people pay to see)

This is not a complex equation for a man as bright as Mr.Mason

denzel

Alistair20000

It's not too difficult is it?

1. The money paid to playing staff
2. The money paid to coaching staff including the manager and director of football
3. The money paid to non coaching staff who claim to have responsibility for football matters

= total cost of goods sold (I.e. The first team product people pay to see)

This is not a complex equation for a man as bright as Mr.Mason
I agree. Have you asked the Trust to supply that information ?

I agree. Have you asked the Trust to supply that information ?
And how does one do that? Isn't that one of the basic responsibility of anyone taking on the role of a Trustee???